Re: [MOL] Using doxorubicin for prostrate cancer treatment [00542] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Using doxorubicin for prostrate cancer treatment

Hi!  I was sorry to hear that your fathers prostate cancer does not appear
to be responding to the treatments.  Here is the information you requested
and should you have more questions just ask.  Your friend, lillian

    SELECT A SUBTOPICPractitioners' Reporting NewsUSP Quality
ReviewReporting ProductsREPORT AN ERRORDrug Product ProblemsMedication
ErrorsVeterinary Reports
  Search This Area:

LIPID-BASED PRODUCTS
Confusion and unintentional product interchange between lipid-based and
conventional drug formulation results in serious injury, including death.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM:
Confusion between the conventional formulation and the lipid-based
formulation of three drug products has been reported to cause significant
errors ranging from mild injury to fatality. Conventional aqueous products
have dosages that are significantly different from their lipid-based
counterparts. The magnitude of the dose conversion between conventional and
lipid-based products is not consistent. Specifically, some lipid-based
products may have a higher milligram dose than the conventional counterpart
(e.g., amphotericin B), while other lipid-based products may have a lower
milligram dose than the conventional counterpart (e.g., doxorubicin).
Several lipid-based formulations may exist for the same conventional
product, doses of which may or may not be similar.

SCOPE and SEVERITY:
NCC Medication Error Index  Number of Cases and Medication Involved
Category I:  An error occurred that resulted in patient death  4
Amphotericin B (2 cases) Doxorubicin (2 cases)
Category G:  An error occurred that resulted in permanent patient harm  1
Amphotericin B
Category F:  An error occurred that resulted in initial or prolonged
hospitalization and caused temporary patient harm  1  Amphotericin B
Category C:  An error occurred that reached the patient but did not cause
patient harm  12  Amphotericin B (4 cases)
Daunorubicin (1 case)
Doxorubicin (7 cases)
Category B:  An error occurred but the medication did not reach the patient
1  Amphotericin B
Category A:  Circumstances or events that have the capacity to cause error
3  Amphotericin B (2 cases)
Doxorubicin (1 case)

* National Reporting programs used as a source for this data are the
USP-ISMP Medication Errors Reporting program, the FDA MedWatch  Program, and
the JCAHO Sentinel Event Reporting Program.

SUGGESTED ACTIONS:
Health care professionals and health care organizations should consider the
following:

Educate staff about differences between conventional and lipid-based
formulations, including physical appearance, dosages, and administration
schedules.
Store lipid-based formulations separately from conventional formulations.
Use cautionary auxiliary labels to distinguish products.
Prepare and dispense products from pharmacy only - do not stock on floor or
in automated dispensing cabinets.
Develop a dispensing checklist or criteria that must be met before
dispensing products available in lipid-based and conventional form.
Routinely specify and refer to lipid-based products by brand names1.
Continue to report errors associated with the confusion between drugs with
lipid-based and conventional formulations so that accurate frequency and
severity of these errors can be assessed.
1This suggested action recognizes that many health care facilities insist
generic names be used for drug orders. Using generic name and specifying
"lipid-based" will not, however, specifically differentiate between products
when several "lipid-based" formulations are available for a single generic
item.

This information provides notification of situations in which errors may
occur. The identification of particular products or brands should not be
interpreted as an adverse reflection of the product or manufacturer. The
suggestions to avoid medication errors are general and should be properly
evaluated before implementation to determine whether they are appropriate
for use in particular work environment. More information on Medication Error
Alerts.

 prn@usp.org

Copyright  1997 - 1999 The United States Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc.
Terms of Use / Privacy

Warmly, lillian

more....