[MOL] Chicken Soup For The Day... [00505] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Chicken Soup For The Day...

Title:

Have some chicken soup
and get well soon.

Get Well Get Well

Get Well

The "Calling Card"

My brother, Dave, was always close to our grandmother. Both of them shared a love of Mother Nature and of food that they had grown themselves. Whenever his schedule permitted, he would drop in for a short visit and a cup of coffee. One day, when he found no one home, he left a chunk of dirt on her porch. This started what was later to be known as his "calling card." Grandmother would come home occasionally and instantly know that Dave had been by when she spotted the chunk of dirt on her porch.

Although Grandmother had a poor upbringing in Italy, she managed to do well in the United States. She was always healthy and independent and enjoyed a fulfilling life. Recently, she had a stroke and died. Everyone was saddened by her death. Dave was disconsolate. His life-long friend was now gone.

At her funeral, Dave and I were among the grandsons who were pallbearers. At the cemetery, we were instructed by the funeral director to place our white gloves and the carnation we wore during the ceremony on our grandmother's casket. One by one, each grandson paid his final respects. Dave went before me and as he walked over to her casket, I saw him quickly lean over to pick up something. I couldn't see what it was, so I didn't pay too much attention to it. As I went to place my gloves and carnation next to Dave's, tears suddenly filled my eyes as I focused on the chunk of dirt that lay on top of my grandmother's casket. He had left his "calling card" for the final time.

By Steve Kendall
from A Cup of Chicken Soup for the Soul
Copyright 1996 by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen & Barry Spilchuk
Warmly, lillian

Soup Bowl.GIF

Chicken Soup Bkgrd.gif