Re[2]: [MOL] KATHY! [00425] Medicine On Line

Re[2]: [MOL] KATHY!

     Hi Kathy,

     My boyfriend was diagnosed with AML this past May.  His treatment was
     similar to what you described, but he didn't require treatment into
     his spinal cord.  He has had a total of 4 rounds of chemo therapy and
     is scheduled for one more round.  He is in remission and has been
     since the after the first round of chemo.  His doctors also had him on
     a 7-day ARA-C / 3-day Idarubacin treatment for the first round.  Each
     successive round has been just the ARA-C (at a higher dose) over three
     days.

     One major side effect is that after the chemo his blood counts drop to
     almost nothing, which means he doesn't have as many platelets, red and
     white blood cells in his body to do what they're suppose to do.  When
     this happens he tends to get an irregular heart beat, which is much
     faster than normal.  His Dr's will give him a blood transfusion and
     platelet transfusion that will help bring his heart rate closer to
     normal until his bone marrow rebounds  from the chemo and can start
     producing it's own blood again.  There are a lot of different side
     effects and they vary from patient to patient .

     I'm not as sure about the treatment he is receiving in his spinal
     cord, but I do know that with AML there are generally a total of 4
     rounds of chemo given, with the first round called the induction and
     the successive rounds called the consolidation.  This definately
     varies from patient to patient.

     We are hoping he won't have to have a bone marrow transplant, but
     that's sort of an unknown right now.  You should sit down and talk to
     his doctor and talk to him about what course of treatment he has
     planned and if he feels he should have a bone marrow transplant or
     not.  There is a lot of info on the Web about AML. Here are a couple
     to start from.  I hope they are helpful.

     http://cancernet.nci.nih.gov/patient.htm

     http://www.meds.com/pdq/myeloid_pat.html

     http://www.cancercenter.com/home/

     AML is very treatable from what I have read and new treatments are
     coming along everyday.  I know that once my boyfriend and I got a
     chance to sit down and talk to his doctor, actually we grilled him for
     information, we both felt a lot better.  I know for me I feel better
     knowing whats going on and what sorta happens next in his treatment. I
     hope you are both doing well.  I know how overwhelming it all feels,
     but you just have to keep going and not give up.  Good luck to both of
     you.

     Brandi