Re: [MOL] mastectomy following lumpectomy - avoiding radiatioon [00200] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] mastectomy following lumpectomy - avoiding radiatioon

Dear friend, I'm a breast cancer survivor of five years.  Before I went in
for the biopsy the doctor warned me that I might have to have a mastectomy
because of the location of the tumor - under the nipple.  Luckily, they were
able to get clean edges and performed a lumpectomy, removing about 1/3 of the
tissue. I went through both chemo and radiation ... radiation was the most
difficult because of the extreme tiredness and red radiation "burns" ... but
to this day I don't regret it, and would do it all over if necessary.  Had a
terrific surgeon, oncologist and radiation oncologist. My only problem was
being lopsided!  Took lots of arguing and finding the right plastic surgeon
to get my HMO to do what I call a "deconstruction" on the other breast ...
but I must say the results were great - and my breasts are perkier than they
were 15 years ago! LOL.  As Joicy has said, listen, research, then make up
your mind as it best feels for you.  If you have questions, ask. There are
lots of us out here who have been where you are.