Re: [MOL] multiple myloma Reply [01287] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] multiple myloma Reply

I understand that thalidimide works pretty good with this type of cancer.
If you are unable to get into a trial, there is such a thing called
compasionate drug; which your doctor would request for.  Please know that we
are here for you and if we may help you in any way possible, just ask us.
This is your forum too; so if you care to chat with anyone just jump in a
conversation.  I do not know of a cure; but there are so many many new
therapies, drugs; etc.  Your friend, lillian

Lisa here is the site that lists trials for the various cancers.

http://cancertrials.nci.nih.gov/NCI_CANCER_TRIALS/zones/TrialInfo/Finding/

Multiple myloma sites.

http://www.excite.com/health/diseases_and_conditions/a_z/conditions_m_o/myel
oma/?first=1&websites=1&tabs=y:no:no&search=multiple%20myloma%20myeloma

http://www.excite.com/health/diseases_and_conditions/a_z/conditions_m_o/myel
oma/?search=multiple+myloma+myeloma+

Multiple Myeloma
Multiple myeloma is a malignant proliferation of plasma cells. The tumor,
its products, and the host response to it result in a number of organ
dysfunctions and symptoms of bone pain or fracture, renal failure,
susceptibility to infection, anemia, hypercalcemia, and

Etiology The cause of myeloma is not known. Myeloma occurred with increased
frequency in those exposed to the radiation of nuclear multiple myeloma,
mieloma, myloma

Incidence And Prevalence About 14,400 cases of myeloma were diagnosed in
1996. Myeloma increases in incidence with age. The median age at diagnosis
is 68 years. It is rare under age 40. The yearly incidence is around 4 per
100,000 and

Pathogenesis And Clinical Manifestations Bone pain is the most common
symptom in myeloma, affecting nearly 70 percent of patients. The pain
usually involves the back and ribs, and unlike the pain of metastatic
carcinoma, which often is worse at night, the pain of myeloma is
precipitated by

The next most common clinical problem in patients with myeloma is
susceptibility to bacterial infections. The most common infections are
pneumonias and pyelonephritis, and the most frequent pathogens are
Streptococcus pneumoniae, Staphylococcus aureus, and Klebsiella pneumoniae
in the lungs and Escherichia coli and other gram-negative organisms in the
urinary tract. In about 25 percent of patients, recurrent infections are
multiple myeloma, mieloma, myloma, myaloma

Renal failure occurs in nearly 25 percent of myeloma patients, and some
renal pathology is noted in over half. There are many contributing factors.
Hypercalcemia is the most common cause of renal failure. Glomerular deposits
of amyloid, hyperuricemia, recurrent infections, and

Anemia occurs in about 80 percent of myeloma patients. It is usually
normocytic and normochromic and related both to the replacement of normal
marrow by expanding tumor cells and to the inhibition of hematopoiesis by
factors made by the tumor. In addition, mild hemolysis may contribute to the
anemia. A larger than

TREATMENT

About 10 percent of patients with myeloma will have an indolent course
demonstrating only very slow progression of disease over many years. Such
patients only require antitumor therapy when the serum myeloma protein level
rises above 50 g/L (5 g/dL) or progressive bone lesions develop. Patients
with

The vast majority of patients with myeloma require therapeutic intervention.
In general, such therapy is of two sorts: systemic chemotherapy to control
the progression of myeloma, and symptomatic supportive care to prevent
serious morbidity from the complications of the disease. All patients with
stage II or III disease and stage I patients exhibiting Bence Jones
proteinuria, progressive lytic bone lesions, vertebral compression
fractures, recurrent infections, or

The standard treatment has consisted of intermittent pulses of an alkylating
agent [L-phenylalanine mustard (L-PAM, melphalan), cyclophosphamide, or
chlorambucil] and prednisone administered for 4 to 7 days every 4 to 6
weeks. The alkylating agents appear to be roughly equally active, but
resistance to one agent is often accompanied by resistance to Melphalan is
used most commonly, but because of their near equivalence in antitumor
efficacy, we favor cyclophosphamide as

The ideal duration of therapy has not been determined. Most physicians treat
every 4 to 6 weeks for 1 or 2 years. Cessation of therapy is followed by
relapse, usually within a year. Retreatment may be associated with a second
response in up to 80 percent of patients. Maintenance therapy (e.g., with
IFNa) may prolong the duration of response, but this therapy is toxic and
has generally not prolonged survival. The regrowth rate of the tumor during
relapse accelerates with each relapse.