[MOL] Re: Prostrate cancer [01237] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Re: Prostrate cancer

My 83 year old father has been recently diagnosed with prostrate cancer.  His
doctor provided two choices for treatment:  the first involved taking a
monthly shot and a pill for the rest of his life; the second involved an
operation.  He, my father, described the operation as similar to a vasectomy,
where the supply to the cancer would be eliminated and the cancer would not
continue to grow.  While this procedure would be done outpatient, he is
nervous.  I have heard that often in older men, nothing is done since this is
a slow growing cancer.  The doctor did mention to him that the cancer is
evident in the bone.  I am searching for information and advice.