Re: [MOL] Yesterday's Tests [01225] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Yesterday's Tests

Lillian:  Yes, my Mom had what is called a target cell locater test.  They
draw about 5 vials of blood.  It is supposed to be able to identify cells
in the body that are using up glucogens faster than healthy cells.  It can
give a general area of a possible tumor but cannot identify whether or not
it's malignant...but usually cancer cells eat up the glucogens faster than
benign tumors.  The results will be read by the hematologist and
radiologist at Morgantown.  The doc said that if there are any quesitons
about the results, they will forward the results to the Armed services lab
or to Johns Hopkins Hopsital to be read also.  We are dealing with Ruby
Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, West Virginia.  It's part of the
University of West Virginia hospital system.  They have a PET scanner...the
only one in this region.  I'm unsure if John's Hopkins Hopsital has one or
not.  The PET scan consists of the person receiving a combination of
glucose and radioisotopes either by inhalation or intravenously.  The
isotopes are color coded and scanned in a machine similar to the MRI and
followed as they pass through the body.  It is a non-invasive procedure.
It measures brain and overall body chemistry activity to identify any
malignant cells in the body.  This is imporatnt because the MRI can only
identify anatomical changes in the body that may take longer to show up.
The PET scan shows changes in the body's chemistry which happens faster
than anatomical changes.  There are mnay good sites about PET scans.  It's
been around since 1992 and you're right, there are only a few sites to get
this done at.  I just searched on Yahoo by the words PET scan.  Mounds of
good info.  Glad I could give something back to this wonderful site.  Hopes
this help someone else.  I'll keep you posted.  Yes, I'm trying to make
sure she gets the very best and the first step was finding a doc that
speaks of hope.Thx. Joy