[MOL] Speaking of lousy treatment [00562] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Speaking of lousy treatment

Hi Molers,
How patients are treated is a factor everywhere.

I really like my surgeon and his nurse. They are both excellent
people to work with. However, if I had to base my assessment on the
efficiency of the front office staff, I would never have met either
of them. When I was looking for a person to get a second opinion
about my breast surgery, the director of Wellness House, a local
support system for cancer patients, suggested I call this doctor, so
I did.

His receptionist's reaction was, "Sorry, I can't get you in for at
least 6 weeks, there is nothing I can do." I told here I was
scheduled for surgery in five days and I needed a second opinion, but
she just blew me off.  I called Wellness House again and the director
said, "Let me see what I can do." She made a phone call, talked to
the nurse and got me in the next day.

No only did I get in, I really like the doctor and he arranged to do
the surgery the same day I was originally scheduled.

Now, a year later, when I called and scheduled my examination, they
set up an appointment for me, but when I got there, they did not have
me down for an appointment, so I had to reschedule.

When I went in I told both the nurse and the doctor, "I really like
you both, but you have the worst front office staff I have ever
encountered." And I told them why. I said, You need someone maybe in
their 30's who has some empathy for people. This girl you have has no
sensitivity to the people who are calling for help.

I think I got her fired. In a year of working with patients, she had
learned nothing about being sensitive to their needs.

I don't like getting people fired; I prefer to help them improve, but
I guess they had had problems with her before and she simply wasn't
teachable. Should I feel bad?
Liz