[MOL] Barb Auslander Update [00381] Medicine On Line

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[MOL] Barb Auslander Update

Good morning All,

Where do I begin? So darn many issues and concerns. Pls indulge me and
have patience as I may go off in tangents as these medical issues are as
strange and bewildering and complex to me as they seem to be to the
Doctors. Barb is a unique medical specimen. She was first diagnosed back
in 1994 with a very rare adeno carcinoma of an UNKNOWN primary which
spread Stage IV to lymph glands. So if that is rare, it has been a very
complicated journey these past 5 years as the side effects and various
conditions similarly have been rare. But we have dealt with each issue
and will continue to do so until she is well. So here goes.

SAw the Neurosurgeon with results of  brain cat scan for post operative
follow-up. No noticeable after effects of brain blood or hemorrhaging.
Good news.

Saw Barbs primary Doctor yesterday as Barb is experiencing continued
nausea and leg pains. The leg pains are a result from the surgery of the
head and back and as the Doc put it, may go away in time. Barb is trying
to overcome with progressive walking therapy as per Physical therapist.
The nausea is another concern. We had taken Barb off all medications and
pain pills and supplements and vitamins over the past four days and the
nausea continues. The Doctor did a cursory physical exam and called for
an endoscopy. The Doctor told me that she consulted with Oncologist and
they both feel that it is not cancer related. WE will see Primary Doctor
once again on the 20th to get results of the endoscopy but in the
meantime prescribed Compozine for nausea. As for the all the other
medications and supplements, Barb decided to stay off until the nausea
goes away.

Barb had an ultrasound of her neck and chest. The concern is that Barb
is off coumadin a blood thinner and we needed to know where the blood
clots are in order to have a boiler plate point of confirmation whether
to eventually go back to a blood thinner. As it turns out, There is a 5
cm clot in the right basillic vein, there is also a defect or clot in
the distal left subclavian, left axiallary and the proximal left basilic
vein. These are also consistent with thrombus or blood clotting. So Barb
has blood clots on both sides left and right veins to the heart. She is
not a candidate for blood thinner at this time as she is healing from
brain surgery and going back on a blood thinner would be quite risky. So
each day, I measure her arms and and wrists to see if there is no
significant change in size. Should there be some swelling, then we would
have no choice than to use blood thinner. I have just called to make an
appointment with a vascular Surgeon at UCI for 2nd opinion. We need to
get those clots open if possible.

NOw for the cancer issue. There are rising cancer cells. Last ca-125
tumor marker rose from 62 to 65. Normal is 35 or under. We will take
another in two weeks and get the results on the 25th of this month.
Barbara is not a candidate at this time for chemotherapy as that also is
very risky after brain and back surgery as it may once again cause for
brain hemorrhaging. I have just made an appointment with two
Oncologists, one gynecological and one medical to seek 2nd opinions. I
am hoping that there are therapies that are less toxic, say gene or
vaccine or immuno. Will know more when we see them at the end of this

Now, Barb is in discomfort. She has lost weight, but she is one hell of
a fighter, as you all know. In the meantime, we are making our 2 year
plans as we always do that encompasses wellness. We feel that is what
got her to 5 years to begin with. She meditates, she prays, she eats
well, we are back into walking. WE love each other and we have many
friends and relatives that love her. So, with that formula we will, God
willing, overcome.

NOw, also, I am researching like heck for leads and alternatives. Have
many thanks to many friends. Barb and I promised that we would sit down
each day and go over some of these things and will pursue further.

so, Pls continue to pray for us. I have not written as much as I should
and need to write more, but every day is a battle, every day there is so
much to take care of and keeps me away from the chores that need to be
taken care of personally and business. But, pls be patient with me.
First priority is my Barb and I will always keep you posted, if not
everyday. I will not lie to you. Its tough. It has been tough, but we
will never, ever give up. I know Barb feels the same. Thank you all for
your love.

God Bless and pls continue to be in touch as I will  you.
marty and Barb
This is an automatically-generated notice.  If you'd like to be removed
from the mailing list, please visit the Medicine-On-Line Discussion Forum
at <http://www.meds.com/con_faq.html>, or send an email message to:
with the subject line blank and the body of the message containing the line:
unsubscribe mol-cancer your-email-address
where the phrase your-email-address is replaced with your actual email