[MOL] Re: The Empty Chair [01092] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Re: The Empty Chair

The Empty Chair

A man's daughter had asked the local pastor to come and pray with her
father. When the pastor arrived, he found the man lying in bed with
his head propped up on two pillows and an empty chair beside his bed.
The pastor assumed that the old fellow had been informed of his
visit. "I guess you were expecting me," he said.

"No, who are you?"

"I'm the new associate at your local church," the pastor replied.
"When I saw the empty chair, I figured you knew I was going to show up."

"Oh yeah, the chair," said the bedridden man.  "Would you mind closing
the door?"

Puzzled, the pastor shut the door.

"I've never told anyone this, not even my daughter," said the man.
But all of my life I have never known how to pray.  At church I used to
hear the pastor talk about prayer, but it always went right over my
head.  I abandoned any attempt at prayer," the old man continued, "until

one day  about four years ago my best friend said:  "Joe, prayer is just
a simple matter of having a conversation with Jesus.  Here's what I
suggest.

Sit down on a chair, place an empty chair in front of you, and
in faith see Jesus on the chair. It's not spooky because He promised,
'I'll be with you always.'  Then just speak to him and listen in the
same way you're doing with me right now.  So, I tried it and I've liked
it so much that I do it a couple of hours every day.  I'm careful,
though.  If my daughter saw me talking to an empty chair, she'd either
have a nervous breakdown or send me off to the funny farm."

The pastor was deeply moved by the story and encouraged the old guy
to continue on the journey.  Then he prayed with him, and returned to
the church.

Two nights later the daughter called to tell the pastor that her daddy
had died that afternoon.

"Did he seem to die in peace?" he asked.

"Yes, when I left the house around two o'clock, he called me over to
his bedside, told me one of his corny jokes, and kissed me on the
cheek.  When I got back from the store an hour later, I found him
dead. But there was something strange, In fact, beyond strange -
kind of weird.  Apparently, just before Daddy died, he leaned over and
rested his head on a chair beside the bed."