[MOL] Information About Wellness Centers [00254] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Information About Wellness Centers

If Camping is too expensive, too far, or your just not into sleeping in cabins with spiders and outhouses and sometimes even bears, then perhaps you will check this site out.  Our Carla belongs to one and it has made a tremendous change in her life overall.   Good luck, your friend, lillian

     The Cancer Wellness Center is a private, nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide free
       psychological, emotional and social support to people diagnosed with cancer and their families.

                       THE CANCER WELLNESS DOCTRINE

                        My health is my responsibility (but I did not cause my disease).

                        I will always have hope (what I hope for may change over time).

                        My doctor and I are partners (we both have things to learn).

                        Death is not failure (personal dignity and quality of life are my measures of success).

                        Cancer provides me with an opportunity (I don't have to feel grateful for it).

                        I am willing to change the way I deal with stress (the past is important only if I make it so).

                        Cancer is a family illness (we all need attention and support).

                        I have the power to make a difference in my care (I need to look inside for the proper direction).

New Programs and Activities

FELDENKRAIS:  MOVING WITH EASE
Presenter:  Joyce Hirsch, M.S., Certified Feldenkrais Practitioner
Tuesdays, July 6, 13, 20, 27     11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.     4-week Series

Do you want to reduce your aches and pains so you can enjoy the things you like to do?  Feldenkrais is a process that helps people move more comfortably and skillfully.  This is achieved through a series of small, slow and easy movements that help improve coordination and flexibility while reducing chronic pain, stiffness and stress.  Lessons will be conducted on the floor or seated in a chair.  Wear loose-fitting clothes and bring an exercise mat or blanket...be ready to relax.  Class size is limited to 12 participants.

WRITING FOR HEALTH
Presenters:  Stuart Pinkwater, Psy.D. and Carol Drengenberg, R.N., M.A., L.C.P.C.
Wednesday, July 7  and Wednesday, August 25    7:00 p.m. to 8:30p.m.
Tuesday, July 27  and Tuesday, August 10     1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The research of Dr. James Pennebaker, psychologist and author of Opening Up: The Healing Power of Expressing Emotions, demonstrates that writing about illness and other traumatic experiences can help us decrease the effects of stress and positively affect the functioning of our immune system.  No writing experience is required.  Stuart Pinkwater will facilitate the daytime sessions and Carol Drengenberg the evening sessions.
RECOVERY IN THE WILDERNESS PROGRAM
Presenter:  Todd Israelite
Thursday, July 8     7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Todd Israelite, Adventure Educator, Wilderness Bay Wellness Foundation, Evanston, will describe how the Foundation uses a carefully designed adventure-based counseling model to guide current and former breast cancer survivors to a new understanding of emotional strength.  A past participant of their weekend camp experience will discuss how the program was an invaluable step along the road to her recovery.  Join us for an opportunity to experience aspects of this innovative program!

A PATH TOWARD HEALING
Presenter:  Pamela Holtzman, R.N., M.S.W., L.C.S.W.
Thursday, July 15, August 5 and 19
7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Each of us has within us a wisdom that can guide us, help us focus and support us in remaining clear and calm.  Join Pamela Holtzman, registered nurse and licensed clinical social worker, to learn or remember the skills that are available to all of us: relaxation, meditation, visualization.  Beginning or advanced...all are welcome.
RSVP at  847-509-9595

Upcoming Programs

              Click HERE for more information about the Center, such as:

Cancer Wellness Center Story

Support Groups| Classes| New Programs| Links to Other Sites| Newsletter
HOURS OF OPERATION
Daytime: Monday to Thursday 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
 (drop-in, office hours, support groups, ongoing programs)

Evening: Monday to Thursday 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
(classes, support groups, special educational programs)

215 Revere Drive
Northbrook, Illinois 60062
847-509-9595

E-Mail the center at: