[MOL] "thoughts for today" [00181] Medicine On Line

[MOL] "thoughts for today"

Hello Everybody,
On this special 4th of July freedom celebration here in the United
States, I would like to wish all of you a fun-filled yet meaningful
weekend. When our country was struggling for its independence, things
were not as they are today. Picnics and barbecues were not on the agenda
of the day. It was more like praying that not too many lives would be
sacrificed in battle that day. Keeping that in mind, here are my
"thoughts for today."

	We may rest assured that freedom is worth whatever it costs.

	Freedom is a package deal---with it comes responsibilities and
consequences.

We have a tendency to take our freedom for granted most of the time in
this country. But freedom came with a very heavy price. Many, things had
to be given up, including many, many lives. Let us remember that the
principles upon which this country was fought for and founded upon are
still worthy of being practiced by men and women of integrity today.

The following was e-mailed to me by the Good Clean Fun Humor List.
However, it is not humorous, but very serious. I would like to share it
with you on this birthday celebration of America. Here it is:

Sunday is the Fourth of July, the day we Americans celebrate our
independence. The Unites States is not very old by the standards of many
countries in the world. The Declaration of Independence was an action of
the Second Continental Congress, July 4, 1776. It begins with the words
"When in the course of human events ..." and was signed by 56 men. Some
famous names from our history are represented in the signatures on the
Declaration of Independence, the name most associated with the
Declaration being John Hancock, the first person to sign the document.
The other signers were:

GEORGIA: Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton.
NORTH-CAROLINA: William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn.
SOUTH-CAROLINA: Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward Jr., Thomas Lynch Jr.,
Arthur Middleton.
MARYLAND: Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll.
VIRGINIA: George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin
Harrison, Thomas Nelson Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton.
PENNSYLVANIA: Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John
Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George
Ross.
DELAWARE: Caesar Rodney, George Read.
NEW-YORK: William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Frank Lewis, Lewis Morris.
NEW-JERSEY: Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John
Hart, Abraham Clark.
NEW-HAMPSHIRE: Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton.
MASSACHUSETTS-BAY: Samuel Adams, John Adams, Robert Treat Paine,
Elbridge Gerry.
RHODE-ISLAND AND PROVIDENCE: C. Stephan Hopkins, William Ellery.
CONNECTICUT: Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver
Wolcott.

Some of these names are well known in American history (John Adams,
Benjamin Franklin). Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men
who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured as traitors, and tortured before they died.
Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving
in the Revolutionary Army, another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56
fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They
signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred
honor. What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were
farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But
they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the
penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships
swept from the seas by the opposing Navy. He sold his home and
properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by search parties that he was forced to
move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without
pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from
him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer,
Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the opposing
forces had taken over the Nelson home for their headquarters. He quietly
urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed,
and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. His wife was jailed
and died within a few months.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These
were not wild eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men
of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more.
Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support
of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine
providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes,
and our sacred honor."

They gave you and me a free and independent America. The history books
never told you a lot of what happened in the Revolutionary War. Some of
us take these liberties too much for granted ... We shouldn't.

So, take a couple of minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and
silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they
paid.