[MOL] Fwd: [LUNG-ONC] A short prayer for all on my 3 lists... [01583] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Fwd: [LUNG-ONC] A short prayer for all on my 3 lists...

This response I got from my lung cancer list (via OncoLink's Spirituality web
page).  Just thought you might be interested in how they felt about
expressing a prayer on the group's listing.  Does MOL feel this way?
-chris

---- Begin included message ----
Title: Re: [LUNG-ONC] A short prayer for all on my 3 lists...
Dear Chris, This post to you pains me, but it is a part of my duties as a listowner. Let me first say that I am myself a Christian, and do believe strongly in the power of prayer. However, the lung oncology list is a secular list composed of many different religions (and lack of). We must therefore ask members to keep religion off the list as much as possible. A simple statement such as "God bless you" or "my prayers are with you" is generally acceptable, but a prayer such as this on the list could easily offend someone who does not believe in God or prayer. There is a Christian cancer list, the CPCOS (Cancer Patients Christian On-Line Support) list, for those of us who would like to freely praise God and offer up prayers, but this type of post simply is not permissible on the lung-onc list. I can relate to your situation, as I also made several posts of a religious nature shortly after joining the list, and this led to my removal from this list. I had to literally beg my way back on the list, and now I try to intervene before the situation gets to the point of a member being removed. I am asking that you please refrain from posts that are strictly of a religious nature in the future, and I do thank you in advance for your understanding in this rather sticky situation. Sincerely, Sharon Thronberry - Lung-Onc & CPCOS Co-Owner Phone: (901) 867-3884 Husband, Elwyn, dx'd 2/97 adenocarcinoma of lung, Stage 1, **STILL** cancer free! Faith....with it, miracles *CAN* happen! ---------- >From: "Chris R." >To: LUNG-ONC@LISTSERV.ACOR.ORG >Subject: [LUNG-ONC] A short prayer for all on my 3 lists... >Date: Sat, Jun 26, 1999, 12:07 PM > >Dearest Lord, >Please look down on every post you see here. Every person needs your special >help that only You can give. They are all a blessing not only to me, but >other people in their lives and I pray you will support them, strengthen >them, heal them, and help them to continue their great service to You and to >others. Please bring love, comfort, hope, faith, and healing to each and >every body, mind, heart, and soul. Thank you Lord for hearing my prayer and >for all the blessings you have already bestowed. Amen. > >-chris r. > -------------------- Dear Chris,

---- End included message ----