[MOL] Combrestatin [01570] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Combrestatin

http://pharmacology.miningco.com/library/98news/bln1111a.htm

 Angiogenesis Inhibitor Combrestatin, by
 OXiGENE, Begins PHASE I Clinical
 Trials   11/11/98

 | Press Release | Angiogenesis Featured Articles | More
 Info | Questions or Comments? Post Them on the
 Board!

 Angiogenesis Inhibitors in Clinical Trials - List of
 Drugs and Contact Information

 Press Release: Tumor Vascular Targeting Agent
 Attacks Cancer-Specific Blood Vessels Formed by
 Angiogenesis

 Boston, Massachusetts, November 11, 1998 -
 Addressing the ABN AMRO Health Care Conference in
 New York, Björn Nordenvall, M.D., Ph.D., President
 and Chief Executive Officer of OXiGENE,
 (Nasdaq:OXGN; SSE:OXGN) announced today that the
 Company has begun treating the first patient in a U.S.
 Phase I clinical trial of Combretastatin A-4 Prodrug for
 the treatment of solid tumors. In addition, the Company
 announced plans to initiate a second Phase I study with
 Combretastatin in the U.S. later this year and the British
 charity, Cancer Research Campaign, is commencing a
 third Phase I study in the U.K. OXiGENE’s clinical
 trials of Combretastatin will evaluate three different
 dosing regimens, as well as the safety, pharmacokinetics,
 reduction of tumor blood flow and maximum tolerated
 dose of Combretastatin in humans. Combretastatin is
 believed to be the first in a new class of drugs known as
 tumor vascular targeting agents, which selectively targets
 and destroys cancer-specific blood vessels formed by
 angiogenesis.

 "More than 90 percent of all cancers are solid tumors,
 and most rely on the blood supply to survive and grow,"
 said Scot Remick, M.D., Program Leader,
 Developmental Therapeutics Division of Hematology
 and Oncology, Ireland Cancer Center at University
 Hospitals of Cleveland and Associate Professor of
 Medicine at Case Western Reserve University. "In
 preclinical studies, Combretastatin demonstrated
 potency as a stand-alone therapy, and increased potency
 in combination with other agents in destroying tumor
 vasculature. These trials represent the first opportunity
 to assess the use of this promising new compound in
 humans."

 "The development of Combretastatin is in line with the
 Company’s overall strategy to discover new products
 that will enhance the effectiveness of conventional
 cancer therapies," said Dr. Nordenvall. "Initial data
 from the Phase I trials will determine the safety of
 Combretastatin as a stand-alone therapy and will frame
 the design of future trials which will evaluate
 Combretastatin in combination with other cancer
 treatments."

 Tumor vascular targeting and angiogenesis inhibition are
 related but distinct cancer therapies, which radically
 depart from conventional approaches to treating cancer.
 Certain new drugs in this class of compounds target a
 tumor’s life support system, the network of newly
 emerging blood vessels, while leaving blood vessels
 associated with normal tissue unaffected. A process
 called angiogenesis, which is the growth of new blood
 vessels from previously existing ones, forms the
 tumor-specific blood vessels. Combretastatin differs
 from anti-angiogenesis drugs in that Combretastatin
 destroys existing blood vessels in tumors, whereas
 anti-angiogenesis drugs inhibit the growth of new blood
 vessels in tumors.

 Combretastatin is being developed as a drug that could
 potentially be used in combination with chemotherapy
 and radiation to enhance the effectiveness of these
 traditional cancer treatments. In animal studies,
 Combretastatin was shown to selectively attack and
 destroy existing tumor vasculature, creating a rapid and
 irreversible shutdown of the tumors’ blood vessels. In
 one such study, published in Cancer Research, v.
 57:1829 (May 1997) researchers found that a single
 dose of Combretastatin reduced tumor blood flow in
 mice by 93 percent. Twenty-four hours after injection
 with Combretastatin, 95 percent of the cancer cells were
 dead as a result of being deprived of oxygen and
 nutrients.

 OXiGENE is an international biopharmaceutical
 company developing a diverse portfolio of innovative
 products to combat cancer and other major diseases. The
 Company’s mission is to develop new therapeutics that
 will enhance the effectiveness of traditional cancer
 treatments. OXiGENE has several product candidates in
 clinical development, including a second-generation
 DNA repair inhibitor Neu-Sensamide‘, in Phase III
 clinical trials in patients with non-small cell lung cancer
 and a Phase I study in patients with glioblastoma; a
 third-generation DNA repair inhibitor Declopramide
 (previously OXi-104), in Phase I studies in patients with
 advanced stage cancers; Combretastatin A-4 Prodrug, a
 tumor vascular targeting agent for the treatment of solid
 tumors, in Phase I studies in patients with advanced
 stage cancers; and Cordycepin, in Phase I/II studies in
 patients with TdT-positive leukemia.

 SOURCE: OXiGENE

 See also Angiogenesis Inhibitors in Clinical Trials -
 List of Drugs and Contact Information

 Return to top

 For more information, try searching this web site
 (search box on upper left of each page). If you still
 need more info concerning individual drugs, it can
 usually be obtained from the Specific Drug Search
 Sites listed in our Pharmacology Links Library.  Drug
 Manufacturer's Web Sites are also a good source,
 especially for newer drugs when other information is
 less readily available. If you've tried and still can't find
 the info you need, try posting your question on the
 Pharmacology Bulletin Board.  I monitor the BB
 regularly, and reply to many questions.  But if you have a
 particular interest or expertise, please, feel free to reply
 to questions or add your comments or opinions.  I regret
 that I can't answer specific email questions, although
 your comments are always welcome.

 Return to Drugs in the News Index

 New Drug Approvals Index

 Drug Manufacturer's Web Sites

 Featured Articles

 Return to top

 produced/revised/updated: 11/22/98 09:03 AM

    Related About.com GuideSites
  Anesthesiology
  Biology
  Dentistry
  Dermatology
  Family Medicine
  Genetics
  Internal Medicine
  Mental Health Resources

                        Neurosciences
                        Nursing
                        Ophthalmology
                        Pediatrics
                        Sports Medicine
                        Surgery
                        Veterinary Medicine

    Elsewhere on About.com
 Today's Top Stories
  Stock Quotes
  Special Olympics Preview
  High-Tech Quilting

                       JustAbout
                        Quit Smoking
                        Graduation
                        Twisted Travel

    This Site  About.com

 Share This Site With a Friend (enter their email address below):

 Top of Page

                                  Sun, Jun 27, 1999

       Mary Ann Elchisak - your About.com
       Guide to:
       Pharmacology

 You are
 here:
         Home > Health/Fitness > Medicine > Pharmacology >
         Guide Extra

 Content:
         Welcome | Netlinks | Articles | Guide Bio | Search | Related
 TalkAbout:
         Forums | Chat | Events | Newsletter | Feedback | Share This
         Site | Join
 ShopAbout:
         Books | ShopCenter | Videos | Yellow Pages

> [...]

 Company’s mission is to develop new therapeutics that
 will enhance the effectiveness of traditional cancer
 treatments. OXiGENE has several product candidates in
 clinical development, including a second-generation
 DNA repair inhibitor Neu-Sensamide‘, in Phase III
 clinical trials in patients with non-small cell lung cancer
 and a Phase I study in patients with glioblastoma; a
 third-generation DNA repair inhibitor Declopramide
 (previously OXi-104), in Phase I studies in patients with
 advanced stage cancers; Combretastatin A-4 Prodrug, a
 tumor vascular targeting agent for the treatment of solid
 tumors, in Phase I studies in patients with advanced
 stage cancers; and Cordycepin, in Phase I/II studies in
 patients with TdT-positive leukemia.

 SOURCE: OXiGENE

 See also Angiogenesis Inhibitors in Clinical Trials -
 List of Drugs and Contact Information

                                  Sun, Jun 27, 1999

> [...]

 Company’s mission is to develop new therapeutics that
 will enhance the effectiveness of traditional cancer
 treatments. OXiGENE has several product candidates in
 clinical development, including a second-generation
 DNA repair inhibitor Neu-Sensamide‘, in Phase III
 clinical trials in patients with non-small cell lung cancer
 and a Phase I study in patients with glioblastoma; a
 third-generation DNA repair inhibitor Declopramide
 (previously OXi-104), in Phase I studies in patients with
 advanced stage cancers; Combretastatin A-4 Prodrug, a
 tumor vascular targeting agent for the treatment of solid
 tumors, in Phase I studies in patients with advanced
 stage cancers; and Cordycepin, in Phase I/II studies in
 patients with TdT-positive leukemia.

 SOURCE: OXiGENE

 See also Angiogenesis Inhibitors in Clinical Trials -
 List of Drugs and Contact Information