Re: [MOL] Progression of breast cancer [01549] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Progression of breast cancer

-----Original Message-----
From: BERTS1041@AOL.COM <BERTS1041@AOL.COM>
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>
Cc: streb1041@yahoo.com <streb1041@yahoo.com>; BERTS1041@AOL.COM
<BERTS1041@AOL.COM>
Date: Friday, June 25, 1999 12:12 AM
Subject: [MOL] Progression of breast cancer

Roberta;

After reading your post, I wondered about you and how final this daignosis
must sound for you.  But it is not necessarily so. The message from Cori was
probably the gist of what most of us "cancer survivors" will think and
undoubtedly say to you.  Apparently, your doctor has not given you a life
projection and if he/she is honest cannot do more than a ball-park span.  As
Cori said, a positive attitude that you can and want to beat this monster is
one of the most important weapons you can use.  If you are taking your time
to research how long you might live if you do nothing, take the time to
believe in yourself, that you are important enough to fight for your life.
Gather in your support systems - family, friends, church, us mols, etc. Read
some good books on nutrition, read Bernie Siegal, read, read, read.  Get
second and third opinions from good docs - teaching hospitals are helpful.
Then start a treatment.  Make sure it is monitored for progress - change
treatments if not working.  Look at clinical trials.  Look at what helps
others remembering we are all different.  Don't give up.  I am a ten year
survivor.  Been on chemotherapy for 7 of those years, after 3 years of
tomoxafen plus a bilateral mastectomy in the beginning.  I am now in
remission and making a decision about how to stay there.  A stem cell
transplant now or stay on Herceptin and see what happens.  I am very active
in the community and with family, volunteer actively for the American Cancer
Society - run a breast cancer support group.. Exercise every day, take walks
in the early am and evening with my dog and my love.    Sure, I fatigue
easily - have a couple one hour rests a day - do a lot of meditating, etc
Do I feel down, depressed sometimes?  Of course! That may last a day, but by
the second day if my mood has not elevated, my love  gives me lots of hugs
and warm fuzzies and then "kicks me in the butt and reminds me to get with
the program".  We love you and are there for you.
Nancy E.