Re: [MOL] Progression of breast cancer [01386] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Progression of breast cancer

Dear Roberta:
I am sitting here in shock at the sound of finality in your query. I am sure you
will get many answers of a very supportive and eye opening nature from this forum
- many from people who are breast cancer survivors themselves, many long term.  I
myself am a cancer survivor, not breast cancer,  (a much rarer and  theoretically
very much more aggressive cancer) however let me hasten to tell you that cancer
is most certainly not always an automatic death sentence - in fact it can often
be a most life altering and enlightening journey for many.
I'm asking this in the most sensitive way I know how - why are you searching and
researching to find out how quickly your disease will progress and how soon you
can expect to die, instead of focusing all your efforts on finding options that
will give you LIFE.  In fact, breast cancer has quite a high rate of control and
survivorship, not the opposite.
I know there are many who can guide you and help you here in this forum, and no
doubt our friend Lillian will quickly lead you to sites which can give you all
kind of valuable information that could help you on your cancering journey.  It
is a challenging one indeed, but certainly not by any means a certain death
sentence.  I know you will hear from other Molers as we call ourselves later in
the day - I happen to not be able to sleep tonight so it's very early in the a.m.
est...but I want you to know that a winning and positive attitude is crucial in
dealing with and surviving cancer.The mind is a very powerful tool, and an
optimistic mindset can do wonders.
You are a much stronger person than the cancer is and I sincerely suggest that
you focus your efforts on surviving rather than counting down the days.  You
scare me when you say words to the effect about how long does a patient"who does
nothing" survive ?  Your words sound so ominous and almost suicidal.  There is a
lot of help available out there, and wonderful resources.  There are many support
groups for breast cancer patients particularly, and I urgently suggest you
contact one in your area.  I am sure you would gain a whole other perspective on
your cancer.
Please stay in touch on this forum - I know many can help you with their personal
experiences, great wisdom and insight, encouragement, information and support.
Above all, keep believing and stay positive.  Your new friend, Cori.