[MOL] To Martha from Ryan [01261] Medicine On Line

[MOL] To Martha from Ryan

Dear Martha,

I appreciate the info, it helps to hear other experiences.  I'm sorry yours
was so bad, but I want to hear it all, the good/bad/ugly.  The fear of the
unknown is what is hell right now.

Interestingly, you mentioned Bernie Siegel's book, some other people did
also.  I found his website while looking for info, so in case anyone
wants/needs it, here you go.

http://www.m-2k.com/cdjg/bernie/

In case this was one that Lillian had given me in that long list of info,
please forgive me for overlooking it.  Also if this is out of line, just
tell me, I don't want to overstep my bounds if links like these are not
welcomed.  I thought it was a good one.

Ryan

> Dear Ryan,
>
> I had a very limited experience with chemo; one administration.  I had an
> awful time, but you have to take into consideration that my doctor told me
> wouldn't get sick, didn't give me anything to go home with for the
nausea;
> and that the doctor in general, was a bum.
>
> Since then, 12/97, I have met scads of people who went through chemo for
> months, close to a year; who went to work, raised three kids, etc.
>
> My chin still drops as I listen to their stories, but there it is.  Make
> sure you get something for the nausea to go home with.  I think sometimes
> they give people steroids; but ask your doctor.  If he says there's
nothing,
> I would feel immediately suspicious.  If he says, you'll get some
> anti-nausea meds at the same time you get the chemo; I'd be suspicious
> again.  I got that too, but it only lasted for a few hours.
>
> Of course, you must take into consideration, I have breast cancer which
is
> not what you have; and anything I say about treatment is only from my
> experience.
>
> Fatigue seems to be a real common experience.
>
> As others are saying, read Bernie Siegel's books, and a lot has to do
with
> attitude.  As Siegel says somewhere, even chemo can be looked at as a
gift
> if it helps with the cancer.
>
> Always here to listen like all,
>
> Martha

I've
> >researched the side effects, but they say side effects vary from person
> >person, dosages, etc.  I just wondered what the experiences have been on
> >here.  Hearing from "real people" rather than reports is what I'm after.
> >Thanks for your input.
> >
> >I don't know what else to ask, I am very nervous, I am trying to stay
busy
> >with work and getting as much accomplished at homee as I can before the
> >surgery/treatment, but I've been having problems with fatigue.  I have
> >get back to work, thank you, Ryan
> >

> >> Hi Ryan,
> >> There are so many kinds of chemo, do you know what you will be given?
My

> >> hubby had Carboplatin and VP-16 (Etoposide) and on the first day of the
3
> >day
> >> treatments they would give him a nausea IV, then off for 21 days and
> >repeat
> >> it again for 6 rounds, then 33 hits of radiation.  He said he felt
good
> >the
> >> whole time, lost his hair and had to had 2 units of blood during chemo
> and
> >
> >> the same during radiation.  He did tire very easy, he would not have
been

> >> able to hold down a full time job.  He did putts out in the yard with
> >> splitting would with a gas splitter, it was still hard work.  I hope
this

> >> answers your question.  As far as me being the caregiver, I thought he
> >looked
> >> like he was in pain, and thought he looked sicker, and was worried
sick,

> >> think I got more wore out driving him for treatments then he got tired
> >having
> >> them...LOL.  It will be hard on both of you.  Another thing I found
out
> >was
> >> the family didn't want to talk to me about it and didn't accept the
fact
> >that
> >> he had cancer and might die, and I sure couldn't cry in front of the
kids
> >or
> >> Don.  I remember one day I cried so hard writing to the forum that I
> could
> >
> >> hardly see what I was typing and thank God someone was on and got my
> >letters
> >> right away and posted right back.  I was OK after that, I sure don't
know

> >> what I would have done with out this forum.  They are what pulled us
both

> >> through this whole ordeal, I thank God for this forum.
> >> You take care and know that I am here to answer anything you ask if I
can
> >and
> >> it will be no punches pulled ok?
> >> Love, hugs & Prayers to you and yours,