[MOL] Fwd: WEDNESDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION [01244] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Fwd: WEDNESDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION

---- Begin included message ----
Subj:	 MATTHEW 7:15-20: WEDNESDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION
Date:	6/22/99 5:12:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time
From:	mtuazon@ix.netcom.com (Manuel Tuazon)
Reply-to:	early-word-request@cin.org
To:	early-word@cin.org

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (To the Greater Glory of God)

For: Wednesday, June 23, 1999

Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time

From: Matthew 7:15-20

False Prophets
--------------
(Jesus said to His disciples,) [15] "Beware of false prophets, who come
to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.  [16] You
will know them by their fruits.  Are grapes gathered from thorns, or
figs from thistles?  [17] So, every sound tree bears good fruit, but the
bad tree bears evil fruit.  [18] A sound tree cannot bear evil fruit,
nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.  [19] Every tree that does not bear
good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.  [20] Thus you will
know them by their fruits."

Commentary:

15-20. There are many references in the Old Testament to false prophets;
perhaps the best-known passage is Jeremiah 23:9-40 which condemns the
impiety of those prophets who "prophesied by Baal and led my people
Israel astray"; "who prophesy to you, filling you with vain hopes; they
speak visions of their own minds, not from the mouth of the Lord [...].
I did not send the prophets, yet they ran.  I did not speak to them, yet
they prophesied"; they "lead my people astray by their lies and their
recklessness, when I did not send them or charge them; so that they do
not profit this people at all."

In the life of the Church the Fathers see these false prophets, as of
whom Jesus speaks, in heretics, who apparently are pious and reformist
but who in fact do not have Christ's sentiments (cf. St Jerome, "Comm.
in Matth.", 7).  St John Chrysostom applies this teaching to anyone who
appears to be virtuous but in fact is not, and thereby misleads others.

How are false prophets and genuine prophets to be distinguished?  By the
fruit they produce.  Human nobility and divine inspiration combine to
give the things of God a savor of their own.  A person who truly speaks
the things of God sows faith, hope, charity, peace and understanding;
whereas a false prophet in the Church of God, in his preaching and
behavior, sows division, hatred, resentment, pride and sensuality (cf.
Gal 5:16-25).  However, the main characteristic of a false prophet is
that he separates the people of God from the Magisterium of the Church,
through which Christ's teaching is declared to the world.  Our Lord also
indicates that these deceivers are destined to eternal perdition.

Source: "The Navarre Bible: Text and Commentaries".  Biblical text
taken from the Revised Standard Version and New Vulgate.  Commentaries
made by members of the Faculty of Theology of the University of
Navarre, Spain.  Published by Four Courts Press, Kill Lane, Blackrock,
Co. Dublin, Ireland.  Printed in Hungary.