[MOL] cysplatin hearing loss [00285] Medicine On Line

[MOL] cysplatin hearing loss

My daughter at age 9 has just received 2 rounds of cysplatin and experienced a hearing loss in the 4,6,and 8k frequencies for the first time in the treatment of her cancer.  I too am wondering if it is possible for this hearing loss to return although her loss is in the 60-80 dB range at 8k Hz.  Her next step is bone marrow transplant and I have been reading that she will continue to lose her hearing as it dips into her speech frequency range of 2k Hz.  Do you know of any other choice or any hope of recovery over time from this chemo induced loss?

Sheila   gillman@infinet.com