From: kcorrigan@chgw.com <kcorrigan@chgw.com>
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>
Date: Thursday, May 06, 1999 11:07 AM
Subject: RE: [MOL] vent

Dear Debby:  This is Kathy Corrigan in Boise.  You sound very down, and I'm awfully sorry.  I do know how you feel, though, but I hate to see anyone feeling so bad.  I've gone through it all, too -- the horrible chemo and the nasty radiation.  I'm a lung cancer survivor -- sclc, dx 12/09/77.  Please think about taking an antidepressant.  I did, and still do.  My ex-husband (divorce final two weeks ago) was definitely not there for me.  He was out drinking every night.  I got horribly depressed, because I was skinny, bald, and sick, and had this strange appliance implanted in my chest.  My oncologist was very concerned about the depression.  She gave me everything known to man to help me combat it.  My radiation oncologist was a total jerk.  He allowed the radiation to reach the point where it burned and blackened my esophagus.  I had to be hospitalized for two weeks because I couldn't swallow -- therefore, I couldn't eat.  Debby -- the point is, I made it through all this and you can, too.  Today I feel better than I have in years, and I'm so thankful to be alive, I'm practically jumping for joy.  I think people find me rather annoying I'm so cheerful!!  LOL  I didn't think I was going to survive at first, but once I changed my mind and decided to kick this disease in the butt, things started to turn around.  This may not be forever, Debby, but nothing really is.  I'm loving today.  You're going to make it, too.  You're young and strong.  Now get up and fight like hell!  Your friend and part of your cheering section -- Kathy Corrigan in Boise.