Re: [MOL] Marty ! [02274] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Marty !

Dear Lil and All,

the fascinating thing about survival rates is this. There are two sides
to rates. A negative and a positive. If we are to hear survival rates,
which to me are based on information that most of the time is outdated
and false, then why not see the  positive side. After all there are two
sides to every rate, one negative and one positive. There had to be many
that were on the positive side. Why not us? But, the fact is, no human
person has the right to advise life expectancy when first, only God
knows and second, Doctors are human beings and if they are to tell us it
should only be with the most prompting and urging from the patient as
JOicy pointed out. For we all seek hope. HOpe is the key. Once you
psychologically take that away based on a false rate or percentage or
belief that which is not true, then our sense of hope is limited. Again
that is my opinion. I know there are those that disagree. it is just my
opinion. In the case of the Rabbi, my message was to rebut what he said
and not to focus on every viewpoint of every spiritual member of the
cloth. I hoped I had pointed that out.

Pls, I respect the viewpoints of JOicy and Chris and anyone who wishes
to speak their minds and hearts and souls. It is for this discussion
that we learn and then take that information to be able to make choices
in their decision on how and what to tell our Doctors or spiritual
leaders. It is with this respect that I have for everyones viewpoint,
whether I agree or disagree, that we learn. We all have the right to
discuss and argue and debate. I respect those that disagree no less than
those that do agree. This is my learning experience.

I see no greater discussion, whether adversarial or in tune, that the
end result is the culmination of discussion that provides hope.  In a
personal note, for if we had asked the Doctors how long my wife had
initially they would have said.."2 weeks to live" and knowing Barb that
may have been the case. When indeed I opted not to ask that of our
Doctors and it is now close to 5 years later and indeed she is with me.
We learned two years ago, that was the opinion of hers and other Doctors
of Barbs, viewpoint that they expected her to live but two weeks. I for
one am glad we did not ask, but then again I can't argue nor can I agree
with Joicys viewpoints. she has her opinion and I respect that, truly.
My point was with the Rabbi message as I know the Jewish faith and found
it odd that he is not in concert with other members of the Jewish
belief. Essentially, Rabbis tend to tell each profession that when they
advise out of their realm of experience, it tends to complicate the
condition or course of direction, the patient or one that is concerned
to find. I can't answer for what JOicys religious belief is so my
message was in debate or rebuttal to the Rabbis, no one elses. I had
hoped I made that clear and wish to apologize if it wasn't

AGain just my view. Truly, I respect and learn from all. I for one would
hope I was not offensive and abrasive with my opinion.

God Bless and thank you for all your viewpoints. As Joicy would say
"keep em coming".

Thank you LIl for support

marty auslander