From: owner-mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
[mailto:owner-mol-cancer@lists.meds.com]On Behalf Of Stephen R. Teel
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 1999 7:10 PM
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
Subject: RE: [MOL] G'day y'all!

I don't know but I might have a buck or two to offer :-).

Well since Chris has opened the door
Back in November 97 I noticed a lump on my neck, had a sore throat so didn't
think much of it. Well in December I realized that my throat was fine but I
had that damn lump. Being the procrastinator I am I waited till the end of
January to see my ENT doctor. He said my tonsil looked pissed off so he
snatched a piece of it to have it checked out.

When I saw him the next week he told me the good news that I had Tonsil
cancer. We decided on surgery followed by radiation, Chemo doesn't work well
with what I had. Surgery was not too bad for me, Took the doctors 12 hours,
earned their keep I guess :-). The radiation really sucked, since it was the
mouth/throat area I lost my sense of taste and it hurt like hell, I actually
lived on Ensure Drinks and liked them Ugh :-(. Well all in all I was doing
fine Got my monthly checkups and no problems.

Every time I see my ENT Doctor he asks me if everything else is OK. Well
about 2.5 months ago I told him that I had a dry cough and my right upper
chest was sore. He sent me to get my chest x-rayed. He contacted my GP Doc,
nobody called me. Next month I told my ENT that I still had the problem and
no one called me. Well off to the X-ray I went again. This time the x-ray
people said call your Doctor NOW, that really made me wonder. Next thing I
know I'm getting a CAT Scan and there it was, we weren't sure at the time
that it was cancer. After a needle biopsy neg. then a Brochoscopy which
found the cancer. My local GP Doctor didn't tell me much, he sent me to an
Oncologist, I call him Dr. Death, Who told me that it was inoperable and
incurable. I said C-YA and went to the City of Hope out here in California.
They jumped right in and said we are going to remove the bad lung and zap
the area with radiation. Then work on a plan on keeping it from coming back.
>From what I understand even if they get it to where they can't detect it it
will still be around waiting. So I will in a sense always be fighting it.
I've already started on a new healthier lifestyle, hope it works :). and
that is where I be. I think I get Filleted end of next week.

=<ST>=
Stephen
AKA Duckman3