Re: [MOL] breast implants [01863] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] breast implants

Dear Kat,

I don't know if I understand everything you said.  But I'll try my best,
anyway.  I was treated for fibrocystic breast disease for about 7 years.
You, seem to be saying that you've had biopsies for this too.  I always
understood from my surgeon, that these kinds of biopsies tend to cause scar
tissue.

It seems like you have to start from, am I well.  And from what you say, you
seem to be well.  But the occasional breast lumps you are finding are
scaring the heck out of you, and making you feel, maybe I'd be better off if
someone relieved me of these mammary glands.

I can identify with this.  My lumps surely scared the heck out of me.  But
one thing I don't quite understand.  How are you being followed?  With my
lumps, I was in my late 20's, early 30's, when breast tissue is dense and
hard to see through.  I always heard that this would be an easier thing to
deal with when I got older because breast tissue became less dense and
therefore, diagnosis of any problem would be easier.  I understand you still
feeling scared a lot.  Heaven knows, I do before I go for check-ups and
until I hear the results.  But the question for you seems to be do I need to
find a way to help myself deal with checkups or have bilateral prophylactic
mastectomies.

I have struggled with cancer for a long time; about 25 years.  One thing
I've learned is that anytime the body gets cut, it experiences this as a
trauma.  And another thing, is that general anesthesia itself, can cause
death.  It certainly didn't do that to me, and thank God, everyday it
doesn't do that to millions of people.  But, like a speeding bus, it's one
of those things I try to avoid if I can.

To have a bilateral prophylactic mastectomies, it would probably be a good
idea to get some genetic counseling.  Do you have a family history?  Has
genetic testing been done on the tissue removed from the surgery you had, to
see if you are an overexpressor of, (I think they call it BRCA1 and2), and
thus some genetic predisposition involving cancer.  What about the pathology
reports on the tissue removed? It sounds as if they found your lymph nodes
to be normal and your lump to be cancer, but they probably said a lot more
than that.  Everything should go into the pot to help you decide what you
want to do.

I took tamoxifen for about 8 months.  I never noticed a particular problem
with hair and skin.  But that's probably, to some degree, because I had my
thyroid removed about 20 years ago.  That can cause dry hair and skin by
itself.

You sound very much at sea.   What I do when I have been, or am, feeling at
sea, is sit down, decide where I am going to port, check my maps and try to
steer myself into land.  Once you see the big picture, and feel secure in
your choice, you might even no longer be troubled by the dry skin and hair.
You  may be right about the tamoxifen, but, I suppose, there are so many
things, like stress, that can probably cause this as well.

I have found this list to be a very good place to be; and have learned more
from it in a day than I have found in any books I have bought about cancer
since.  You might benefit too, from going to a local support group for women
who have had cancer.  It might be a good source of support for you.

With love and hugs,

Martha Cerreto

P.S.:  I have had a saline bag implant for the past nine years.  I have had
no trouble with it.  I understand what Joicy is saying.  My experience has
been much less bothersome.  Let's just say, having a mastectomy doesn't make
any of us look like Barbie and this can create other problems that we all
must address in our own way.   But for me, I think, that must be a post for
another day.