RE: [MOL] Commencement Speech [00811] Medicine On Line

RE: [MOL] Commencement Speech

Marty, I loved this. The advice is all so good.
Liz

--- kcorrigan@chgw.com wrote:
> Dear Marty:  Wow!  That was an excellent speech -- brilliant, in fact.
> I've read a couple of his books and enjoyed them, although I thought he
> was nuts.  I don't anymore!  LOL  Love, Kathy

<HR>
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>RE: [MOL] Commencement Speech</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Dear Marty:&nbsp; Wow!&nbsp; That was an excellent speech -- brilliant, in
fact.&nbsp; I've read a couple of his books and enjoyed them, although I thought he was
nuts.&nbsp; I don't anymore!&nbsp; LOL&nbsp; Love, Kathy</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: owner-mol-cancer@lists.meds.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>[<A
HREF="mailto:owner-mol-cancer@lists.meds.com">mailto:owner-mol-cancer@lists.meds.com</A>]On Behalf
Of Martin Auslander</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 8:55 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: mol cancer</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: [MOL] Commencement Speech</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Good Morning My FRiends,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Thought you might enjoy this</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>This is the Commencement address that Kurt Vonnegut recently gave at</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>MIT:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Wear sunscreen.&nbsp; If I could offer you only one tip for the future,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>sunscreen would be it.&nbsp; The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>now.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind.&nbsp; You will
not</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded.&nbsp;
But</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Don't worry about the future. Know that worrying is as effective as</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Tuesday.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp;Do one thing every day that scares you.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp;Sing.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp;Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with
people</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>who are reckless with yours.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp;Floss.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>yourself.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>in doing this, tell me how.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Stretch.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>wanted</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>to do with their lives.&nbsp; Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>know</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>still don't.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>they're gone.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't.&nbsp; Maybe you'll have children,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>maybe you won't.&nbsp; Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>funky</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either.&nbsp; Your</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can.&nbsp; Don't be afraid of it or</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>of what other people think of it.&nbsp; It's the greatest instrument
you'll</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>ever own.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Do not read beauty magazines.&nbsp; They will only make you feel ugly.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Get to know your parents.&nbsp; You never know when they'll be gone for</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>good.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>people most likely to stick with you in the future.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>should hold on.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>young.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Travel.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise.&nbsp; Politicians will</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>philander. You too, will get old.&nbsp; And when you do, you'll fantasize</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>noble, and children respected their elders.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Respect your elders.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse.&nbsp; But you never know when either
one</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>might run out.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>look 85.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>it. Advice is a form of nostalgia.&nbsp; Dispensing it is a way of fishing</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>and recycling it for more than it's worth.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>But trust me on the sunscreen.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>God Bless</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>marty auslander</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>------------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>This is an automatically-generated notice.&nbsp; If you'd like to be
removed</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>from the mailing list, please visit the Medicine-On-Line Discussion Forum</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>at &lt;<A HREF="http://www.meds.com/con_faq.html"
TARGET="_blank">http://www.meds.com/con_faq.html</A>&gt;, or send an email message to:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>majordomo@lists.meds.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>with the subject line blank and the body of the message containing the
line:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>unsubscribe mol-cancer your-email-address</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>where the phrase your-email-address is replaced with your actual email</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>address.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>