[MOL] Fwd: Good Friday [00031] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Fwd: Good Friday

---- Begin included message ----
Friday of Holy Week
Good Friday
Fast & Abstinence Today
Yet it was our infirmities that he bore, our sufferings that he endured.
(Isaiah 53:4)
Reflection.

(1) It is related in the annals of Clairvaus that St. Bernard asked Our Lord
which was His greatest unrecorded suffering and that Our Lord answered,
"I had on my shoulder while I bore My cross on the Way of Sorrows a grievous
wound which was more painful than the others which is not recorded by men.
Honor this wound with devotion, and I will grant thee whatsoever thou dost
ask through its virtue and merit, and in return to all who venerate this
wound I will remit to them all their venial sins and will no longer remember
their mortal sins. "

(2) At the crucifixion, a young soldier, Longinus, thrust a spear into the
Sacred Heart of Jesus. Water spilled forth, washing Longinus, and Blood
followed, giving Longinus the grace of conversion. Having been touched by the
healing contents of Our Lord's Sacred Heart, Longinus became a martyr, giving
up his own life for the One he helped crucify. Longinus opened a Door into
the Sacred Heart of Jesus. This Door stands open, ready to receive all. We
each have many opportunities to cross this threshold, to enter this Door, to
be immersed in the Love within. How we respond to that invitation is
dependent on how much we love. This Door can be wide, but it is often hard to
pass through.

Fact
  Jesus of Nazareth underwent Jewish and Roman trials, was flogged, and was
sentenced to death by crucifixion. The scourging produced deep stripelike
lacerations and appreciable blood loss, and it probably set the stage for
hypovolemic shock, as evidenced by the fact that Jesus was too weakened to
carry the crossbar (patibulum) to Golgotha. At the site of crucifixion, his
wrists were nailed to the patibulum and, after the patibulum was lifted onto
the upright post (stipes), his feet were nailed to the stipes. The major
pathophysiologic effect of crucifixion was an interference with normal
respirations. Accordingly death resulted primarily from hypovolemic shock and
exhaustion asphyxia. Jesus' death was ensured by the thrust of a soldier's
spear into his side. Modern medical interpretation of the historical evidence
indicate that Jesus was dead when taken down from the cross.

Prayer

Lord, by shedding his blood for us, your Son, Jesus Christ, established the
paschal mystery. In your goodness, make us holy and watch over us always. We
ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.