[MOL] GI's Excuses [01767] Medicine On Line

[MOL] GI's Excuses

On Monday morning the sergeant went out to where ten
GIs were supposed to meet him for work, only to find
that none of them was back after being in town on
weekend passes. As the sergeant looked around, one of
the GIs ran up, panting heavily.

"Sorry, Sarge! But I can explain! You see, I had a
great date, and it ran a little late. I ran for the bus,
but just barely missed it, so I hailed a cab; but it
broke down  totally died. I found a farm, though, and I
bought a horse; but it dropped dead, so I ran the last
ten miles, and now I'm here."

The sergeant was very skeptical about this elaborate
explanation, but at least the man was here now, so he
let it go.

Moments later, eight more GIs ran up to him, also all
panting. He demanded to know why they were late, too.

Here's what he heard from each of them: "Sorry, Sarge!
But, see, I had a date and it ran a little late, I ran
for the bus but missed it, hailed a cab but it broke
down, found a farm, bought a horse but it dropped dead,
I ran ten miles  and now I'm here."

The sergeant eyed them, by now feeling exceedingly
skeptical; but, since he'd let the first guy go and
they had work to do, he let them go, too.

Just then, a ninth GI jogged up, panting heavily:

"Really sorry, Sarge! I had a date and it ran a little late,
I ran to the bus but missed it, I hailed a cab but..."

"Let me guess," the sergeant interrupted sardonically: "It
broke down...."

"Oh, no," answered the GI quickly; "but there were so many
dead horses in the road, it took the driver forever to get
around them."