[MOL] Why the Pred... [01722] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Why the Pred...

Hi Lillian,
The Doctors put him on Pred. to counter the effects of radiation poisoning
he got near the end of his treatments.  He could not swallow, sleep, nor
catch his breath.  He coughed constantly!  The Dr. felt he had lost some
elasticity in his lungs due to the proximity of his tumor w/ the bronchial
area, and the trachea.  He had no appetite and was loosing weight.  I should
say more weight.
All of this was after he spent the month of December in 3 hospitals while
they figured out why his neck & shoulders had swollen to much larger than
his head.  That is how we found his cancer...  he went in because of the
swelling - only to find that he had a large blood clot in the Superior Vena
Cava.  This had caused further smaller clots throughout his chest.  Turned
out the tumor was probably the original cause of pressure on the vein,
thereby causing the clot.  After 4 Angioplasty's, a week on Urokinase
(outstanding blood thinner) and 2 metal Stint implants, the surgeons at
Miami Baptist Cardiovascular unit managed to bring him back from the edge.
Then they could finally get a good biopsy and diagnosed him w/ malignant
NSCLC.  Seems the metal stint in his SVC didn't lend itself well to being
irradiated, but was unavoidable as the cancer was right there by it.  Pop
feels much better on the prednisone but is aware of the effects on the Liver
& kidney.  They had tapered him down after the first week on it, but he
crashed & needed a little longer on it.  Should be going back off it soon,
hopefully as the Radiation wears off too.
He lived in Marathon, FL.  What part of the Ocean are you near??  The
Doctors felt pretty sure he got the cancer from smoking early in life & for
a long time.  Quit 14 yrs. ago, but still this...
How very sad we have no better respect for our own waterways & lands!!
Much Love,
Laurie