From:   Janis Merck
Sent:   Tuesday, March 30, 1999 8:33 AM
To:     Staff
Subject:        The Fence

A little wise blurb I got from a friend - something to think about.

The Fence:

There once was a little boy who had a bad temper.  His father gave him
a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must
hammer a nail into the back of the fence.

The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence.  Over the
next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails
hammered daily gradually dwindled down.

He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those
nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all.
He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now
pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper.

The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that
all the nails were gone.  The father took his son by the hand and led
him to the fence.

He said, "You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence.

The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they
leave a scar just like this one.  You can put a knife in a man and draw
it out.  It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound
is still there.

A verbal wound is as bad as a physical one.

Janis Merck