Re: [MOL] Hope this makes you smile... [01160] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Hope this makes you smile...

Hi Joicy,
I loved this post. I have always loved satire.

Love,
Liz

>> TO: Trojan Army Listserv < Trojans-L@troy.org
>> RE: WARNING!! BEWARE GREEKS BEARING GIFTS!
>>
>> Hey Hector,
>>
>> This was forwarded to me by Cassandra--it looks legit. Please
>> distribute to Priam, Hecuba, and your 99 siblings.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Laocoon
>>
>> WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
>>
>> IF YOU RECEIVE A GIFT IN THE SHAPE OF A LARGE WOODEN HORSE DO NOT
>> DOWNLOAD IT!!!! It is EXTREMELY DESTRUCTIVE and will overwrite your
>> ENTIRE CITY!
>>
>> The "gift" is disguised as a large wooden horse about two stories
>> tall.
>>
>> It tends to show up outside the city gates and appears to be
>> abandoned.
>>
>> DO NOT let it through the gates! It contains hardware that is
>> incompatible with Trojan programming, including a crowd of heavily
>> armed Greek warriors that will destroy your army, sack your town,
>> and kill your women and children. If you have already received such a
>> gift, DO NOT OPEN IT! Take it back out of the city unopened and set
>> fire to it by the beach.
>>
>> FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!
>>
>> Poseidon
>>
>> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>> FROM: hector@studmuffin.com
>> TO: laocoon@doomgloom.edu
>> RE: Greeks bearing gifts
>>
>> Laocoon,
>>
>> I hate to break to you, but this is one of the oldest hoaxes there
>> is.  I've seen variants on this warning come through on other
>> listservs, one involving some kind of fruit that was supposed to kill
>> the people who ate it and one having to do with something called the
>> "Midas Touch." Here are a few tipoffs that this is a hoax:
>>
>> 1) This "Forward this message to everyone you know" junk. If it were
>> really meant as a warning about the Greek army, why tell anyone to
>> post it to the Phonecians, Sumerians, and Cretans?
>>
>> 2) Use of exclamation points. Always a giveaway.
>>
>> 3) It's signed "from Poseidon." Granted he's had his problems with
>> Odysseus but he's one of their guys, isn't he? Besides, the lack of a
>> real header with a detailed address makes me suspicious.
>>
>> 4) Technically speaking, there is no way for a horse to overwrite
>> your entire city. A horse is just an animal, after all.
>>
>> Next time you get a message like this, just delete it. I appreciate
>> your concern, but once you've been around the block a couple times
>> you'll realize how annoying this kind of stuff is.
>>
>> Bye now,
>> Hector

Liz Patterson
Patterson & Associates
2115 Summitview Ave.
Yakima, WA 98902
(509) 576-4213

For help with writing,editing and web design:
http://users.ewa.net/patter/learn.html
MAC users needing help visit: http://users.ewa.net/patter/Macs.html
For Patterson's on site YVCC English composition syllibi:(To be part of
distance learning with YVCC beginning summer, 1999)
http://users.ewa.net/patter/eng101.html
http://users.ewa.net/patter/eng102.html