[MOL] Fwd: Chicken Soup for the Soul: Home Delivery [01089] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Fwd: Chicken Soup for the Soul: Home Delivery

In a message dated 3/18/99 6:53:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, cs-text-weekday-
reply@SoupServer.com writes:

> [...]
>    I am certain each is thinking the same thought: Why is the
>    treatment worse than the disease? My eyes lock on one
>    particular mother who is holding her baby, a boy of about
>    eight months. The laugh is his. He is bouncing on his
>    mother's knee. It is obvious this is the child's favorite
>    game. The mother's face is one big smile. She relishes the
>    brief moments of happiness in her son's short life. She
>    realizes it may be a while before he has the strength to
>    smile again. He, too, has been chosen to suffer an unfair
>    and uncertain fate. My eyes fill with tears.
>         I shift in my seat to get a better view of the baby. I
>    stare at his small, bald head. Baldness is not unusual in an
>    infant, but I know why he is hairless. Suddenly I become
>    angry with myself. I despise it when people stare at me;
>    however, here I am sharing the stares I abhor.
>         I shift my weight once again and sink more deeply into
>    the groove of my chair. A rush of emotions - anger, fear,
>    sadness, pity - surge through me. I remain deeply engrossed
>    in my thoughts for a long time. A booming voice interrupts
>    my reverie. It is the nurse summoning mother and baby into
>    hell. Simultaneously the bouncing and laughing cease. The
>    mother picks up her son. As they walk past me, I look at the
>    baby once more. He is completely calm. His eyes are bright
>    and there is an expression of complete trust on his tiny
>    face. I know that I will never forget that expression.
>         This is but one of many Thursdays. However, on this
>    particular Thursday, many months into a seemingly endless
>    series of treatments, I learned a lesson from a little baby.
>    He changed my life. He taught me that anger, tears and
>    sadness are only for those who have given up. He also taught
>    me to trust. This I will carry with me always. Today, my
>    little hero is doing fine. His last treatment is in sight
>    and his future looks bright. I can honestly say that I am a
>    little surprised. That bright-eyed baby appeared so pale and
>    sick that day. However, that was before I learned to trust.
>         Everyone, some sooner than others, must endure his or
>    her own personal "hell on earth." It is important to keep
>    searching for the small joys, although they are sometimes
>    the most elusive. Trust that these joys will appear,
>    sometimes unexpectedly, and often in life's darkest moments
>    ... for instance, in the smile on a baby's face.
>
>  		   By Katie Gill
>  	    from Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul
>    Copyright 1996 by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Patty
>    Aubery & Nancy Mitchell, R.N.
>
>   =================================================================
>    If you enjoy Chicken Soup for the Soul: Home Delivery, please
>    register your colleagues and friends using the link below!
>
>                 http://SoupServer.com/friend.html
>
>   =================================================================
>
>              World Class Internet Connectivity!
>     Co-location services provided by Jump Point Communications.

---- Begin included message ----
         |                                            |
 ________|  CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL: HOME DELIVERY  |________
 \       |   is a free inspirational e-mail service   |       /
  \      | from Mark Victor Hansen and Jack Canfield, |      /
   \     |   co-authors of the New York Times best-   |     /
   /     |  selling CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL series. |     \
  /      |____________________________________________|      \
 /________\                                          /________\

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Home Delivery is sponsored by:

Zurich Kemper Life - (http://www.zurichkemper.com)
  - The fastest, most convenient way to buy term life insurance!

Souper Shops - (http://www.soupserver.com/souper_shops)
  - Souper Shops!  Great gifts from great shops!

Skymall - (http://www.skymall.com/default.asp?referrer=CHK)
  - Easy online shopping from your favorite catalogs

Planning Your Estate - (http://directory.lutc.com)
  - Don't assume that your assets will be distributed to your loved ones
   when you die.