[MOL] Lillian [00778] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Lillian

>Sandy's friend has cancer and Sandy's little guy who has MD is having
>problems.....your friend,  -

Lillian
You know what amazes me is how unaware I was of the number of people
suffering with cancer and other major illnesses before I was diagnosed with
cancer myself. Since that time I have met and talked to many cancer
patients/survivors. My awareness of the extent and seriousness of this
problem has expanded immeasurably. It was dumb luck that I was diagnosed
early enough to get by with a lumpectomy. The thing that concerns me is the
number of people out there who do not have the problem detected early
enough for a "cure" because they hate having mammograms or going to the
doctor with their aches and pains, so they put it off until the pain
becomes so unbearable they have to take care of it. By that time, things
are so much worse. In the long run it would be so much better for people if
they had their annual physical exams, and problems caught early would be so
much less expensive for insurance companies. You would think the companies
would require their insured's to have the annual physicals.

As expensive as my surgery and radiation was, I can only imagine  what it
would have cost if the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes and I had had
to have chemo. When the cancer is in more advanced stages, it is very
costly in both pain and suffering and money. I think we need more agressive
preventive/early detection programs in every city and town in the world.

Love, Liz

Liz Patterson
Patterson & Associates
2115 Summitview Ave.
Yakima, WA 98902
(509) 576-4213

For help with writing,editing and web design:
http://users.ewa.net/patter/learn.html
MAC users needing help visit: http://users.ewa.net/patter/Macs.html
For Patterson's on site YVCC English composition syllibi:(To be part of
distance learning with YVCC beginning summer, 1999)
http://users.ewa.net/patter/eng101.html
http://users.ewa.net/patter/eng102.html