[MOL] Fwd: FRIDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION [00765] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Fwd: FRIDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION

---- Begin included message ----
Subj:	 MARK 12:28-34: FRIDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION
Date:	3/11/99 3:05:27 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:	mtuazon@ix.netcom.com (Manuel Tuazon)
Reply-to:	early-word-request@cin.org
To:	early-word@cin.org

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (To the Greater Glory of God)

For: Friday, March 12, 1999

3rd Week of Lent

From: Mark 12:28-34

The Greatest Commandment of All
-------------------------------
[28] One of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one
another, and seeing that He (Jesus) answered them well, asked Him,
"Which commandment is the first of all?"  [29] Jesus answered, "The
first is, `Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one; [30] and
you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your
soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.'  [31] The
second is this, `You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'  There is
no other commandment greater than these."  [32] And the scribe said to
Him, "You are right, Teacher; You have truly said that He is one, and
there is no other than He; [33] and to love with all the heart, and
with all the understanding, and with all the strength, and to love
one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings
and sacrifices."  [34] And when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, He
said to him, "You are not far from the Kingdom of God."  And after that
no one dared to ask Him any question.

Commentary:

28-34. The doctor of the law who asks Jesus this question is obviously
an upright man who is sincerely seeking the truth.  He was impressed by
Jesus' earlier reply (verses 18-27) and he wants to learn more from
Him.  His question is to the point and Jesus devotes time to
instructing him, though he will soon castigate the scribes, of whom
this man is one (cf. Mark 12:38ff).

Jesus sees in this man not just a scribe but a person who is looking
for the truth.  And His teaching finds its way into the man's heart.
The scribe repeats what Jesus says, savoring it, and our Lord offers
him an affectionate word which encourages his definitive conversion:
"You are not far from the Kingdom of God."  This encounter reminds us
of His meeting with Nicodemus (cf. John 3:1ff).  On the doctrinal
content of these two commandments cf. note on Matthew 22:34-40.

[Note on Matthew 22:34-40 states:

be condensed into two commandments: the first and more important
consists in unconditional love of God; the second is a consequence and
result of the first, because when man is loved, St. Thomas says, God is
loved, for man is the image of God (cf. "Commentary on St. Matthew",
22:4).

A person who genuinely loves God also loves his fellows because he
realizes that they are his brothers and sisters, children of the same
Father, redeemed by the same blood of our Lord Jesus Christ: "This
commandment we have from Him, that he who loves God should love his
brother also" (1 John 4:21).  However, if we love man for man's sake
without reference to God, this love will become an obstacle in the way
of keeping the first commandment, and then it is no longer genuine love
of our neighbor.  But love of our neighbor for God's sake is clear
proof that we love God: "If anyone says, `I love God', and hates his
brother, he is a liar" (1 John 4:20).

"You shall love your neighbor as yourself": here our Lord establishes
as the guideline for our love of neighbor the love each of us has for
himself; both love of others and love of self are based on love of
God.  Hence, in some cases it can happen that God requires us to put
our neighbor's need before our own; in others, not: it depends on what
value, in light of God's love, needs to be put on the spiritual and
material factors involved.

Obviously spiritual goods take absolute precedence over material ones,
even over life itself.  Therefore, spiritual goods, be they our own or
our neighbor's, must be the first to be safeguarded.  If the spiritual
good in question is the supreme one for the salvation of the soul, no
one is justified in putting his own soul into certain danger of being
condemned in order to save another, because given human freedom we can
never be absolutely sure what personal choice another person may make:
this is the situation in the parable (cf. Matthew 25:1-13), where the
wise virgins refuse to give oil to the foolish ones; similarly St. Paul
says that he would wish himself to be rejected if that could save his
brothers (cf. Romans 9:3)--an unreal theoretical situation.  However,
what is quite clear is that we have to do all we can to save our
brothers, conscious that, if someone helps to bring a sinner back to
the way, he will save himself from eternal death and cover a multitude
of his own sins (James 5:20).  From all this we can deduce that
self-love of the right kind, based on God's love for man, necessarily
involves forgetting oneself in order to love God and our neighbor for
God.]

30. This commandment of the Old Law, ratified by Jesus, shows, above
all, God's great desire to engage in intimate conversation with man:
"would it not have sufficed to publish a permission giving us leave to
love Him? [...].  He makes a stronger declaration of His passionate
love for us, and commands us to love Him with all our power, lest the
consideration of His majesty and our misery, which make so great a
distance and inequality between us, or some other pretext, divert us
from His love.  In this He well shows that He did not leave in us for
nothing the natural inclination to love Him, for to the end that it may
not be idle, He urges us by His general commandment to employ it, and
that this commandment may be effected, there is no living man He has
not furnished him abundantly with all means requisite thereto" (St.
Francis de Sales, "Treatise on the Love of God", Book 2, Chapter 8).

Source: "The Navarre Bible: Text and Commentaries".  Biblical text
taken from the Revised Standard Version and New Vulgate.  Commentaries
made by members of the Faculty of Theology of the University of
Navarre, Spain.  Published by Four Courts Press, Kill Lane, Blackrock,
Co. Dublin, Ireland.  Printed in Hungary.