Re: [MOL] Jean [00230] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Jean

Welcome to our wonderful forum.  Just about all of us have been bounced out
of the chat room; but we'll try again tonight and see what happens.

What stage are you, and what treatments are you on Jean?

 Vitamins and Nutritional Supplements News

Fat intake and nausea and vomiting during pregnancy

A new study concludes that women whose pre-pregnancy diets are relatively
high in saturated fat are at increased risk of severe nausea and vomiting
(hyperemesis gravidarum)in early pregnancy. Note: hyperemesis gravidarum can
lead to dehydration, weight loss, and, in very severe cases, liver and
kidney damage. Researchers at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital studied
87 women who experienced little nausea or vomiting during pregnancy and 44
who were admitted for hyperemesis gravidarum to collect data. The study
found that, for each additional 15 grams of saturated fat consumed per day,
women had a five-times increased risk of developing hyperemesis gravidarum.
Authors note that intake levels of monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fat
did not appear to affect the risk of the condition. The study is in the
journal Epidemiology (1998;9:636-640).

MedBriefs (INC inc.) 10/28/98

Possible factors affecting the risk of Alzheimer's disease

A recent report suggests a link between the risk of developing Alzheimer's
disease (AD), high levels of the amino acid homocysteine, and low levels of
folate and vitamin B12. Researchers at the University of Oxford, England,
studied 164 patients diagnosed with Alzheimer's-type dementia, 76 of whom
had histologically confirmed Alzheimer's, to collect data. It was found that
59% of those patients with confirmed AD had total homocysteine levels in the
top 33% of all participants and that 76% of these patients had serum folate
and vitamin B12 levels in the bottom 33% of all participants. Authors say
the findings are important in that they suggest it may be possible to
prevent AD in some populations. The report was presented at the 17th annual
science reporters conference of the American Medical Association (October
18, 1998) and will be published in the Archives of Neurology (November,
1998).

MedBriefs (INC inc.) 10/26/98

Meat intake and colon cancer risk

A new study suggests that high consumption levels of white meat may be
linked to an increased risk of colon cancer. Note: increased colon cancer
risk has been long associated with the consumption of red meat. Researchers
at the University of California studied data from the ongoing Adventist
Health Study of more than 34,000 California Seventh Day Adventists to reach
their conclusion. The study found that the strongest risk factor for colon
cancer among food-related variables was total meat intake, with those people
who ate red meat at least once per week having a 38% increased risk of the
disease, compared to those who abstained from red meat, and those who
consumed white meat having a 55% increased risk of the cancer, compared to
those who did not eat white meat. Authors note that the risk of colon cancer
increased with the overall level of meat consumed and that only one type of
food -- legumes -- was associated with a decreased risk of the cancer. The
study is in the American Journal of Epidemiology (1998;148:761-774).

MedBriefs (INC inc.) 10/25/98

Are you newly diagnoised?  Just ask and we will help you in any way
possible.  Your friend, lillian