Re: [MOL] tests/Martha! [03533] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] tests/Martha!

My dear sis,

It seems so very unclear--so many things.  I feel off the top of a slide
when I was 6 or so; (maybe that's why I'm so daft, as Mam would say.)
So, there was some question, Initially whether I had a spot near my
collarbone, and that this wasn't really anything to worry about, but the
result of trauma from my fall.  Someone please put in their two cents, but I
think what the bone scan picks up is increased areas of blood flow?  In
getting scans at two hospitals now and unavoidable overhearing conversation,
it was evident that some of the people waiting for scans were having them
subsequent to car accidents.  This was presumably to serve as evidence in
law suits and/or worker's compensation claims.  I have seen people's posts
regarding how arthritis can look like hot spots.

But truly, it is always better to know something than not to know.  I know,
I spent at least 20 years trying not to know anything about these issues.
Once I had a biopsy in my surgeon's office.  I went home and was so scared
to make another appointment that I took out a scissors and took out the
stitches myself.  Once the stitches got too imbedded so I went to one of
those store front instant docs that are popping up all over and had one of
them do it.  Anything rather than go back to the surgeon and hear him tell
me again, you may have cancer, you may not.  Or worse, that he was sure I
had cancer.  He was a brilliant surgeon, but scared me silly.

My oncologist now is someone who has some bedside manner and this makes it a
lot easier.  They call me back pretty quick when I call them.  I sat down
and had a talk with my son too.  He is 10, so that's a little easier.  I
told him I don't know, Mommy may have to have some of that horrible throw up
medicine again.  We even got to that there may come a time when I'm not here
and he's alone with Daddy.  We hugged and cried.  I told him I had no plans
to go anywhere and would fight with ever fiber of my being, but to be
forewarned was to be forearmed and I was trying to make myself, and also
wanted him, to be ready for anything.  Hopefully, I said, there will be
nothing to be ready for, but just in case I want us to be ready.

Even the nicest doctor..it's not his bones...and you are not his wife,
sister, or even friend.  You have to call for yourself, your husband and
your children.  I wish we lived closer..than we could babysit for each
other's kids when we go to the doctor.

After I send this note, I am sending a fax to my ENT at Sloan.  I am going
to tell him that I might have to go on chemo and I want to know, if I get
sick, how my throat surgery might effect this.  Also, I want to tell him
that his answer to a previous fax, of how I should have my doctor call him
if I ever need any other surgery to discuss how they would give me general
anesthesia with my throat surgery, was not sufficient.  See, I have become a
big pain in the BUTT!  It's the only way to be, Christine!

Then, I will probably write a note to Jeff's principal at school, let her
know what's going on so everybody at school will make a big fuss over my
Jeffycake.

Yesterday, I called my parish church.  I got the Father.  I told him what
was going on and asked, how do you add people to the list of the sick
everybody prays for.  He said who; I said me, and told him the latest.
Today everybody prayed for me at mass.  I felt like a famous person who had
sneaked in to see one of their movies.  I still am pretty new at this parish
and don't know that many people.

Lots of Love and Hugs Christine,

Please keep posting and let everyone know as you go up this high portion of
the roller coaster and I will do the same,

Love and Hugs, Sis and tickles to all the children,

Martha