Re: [MOL] Cori [02633] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Cori

Dear Lil:  I originally had conventional (surgery) and when traditional medicine
offered me no hope for my type of cancer other than to try lots of chemo agents
which had not proven effective for thousands - I decided the risk was too great
and pursued alternative.  If you ever research mesothelioma you will see that
there really are few, if any, viable choices for us....therein my intense  focus
on rebuilding my own immune system to mount its own best defense....If I qualify
for clinical trials with angiostatin/endostatin which are being conducted in
Germany on people now rather than mice as they are here, I will go in a shot. So
far they have not opened the trials to mesothelioma.  Also, if the new
generation PDT laser is strong enough to get in deep enough, I would undergo
that in a shot too... (Photo Dynamic Therapy)...I was accepted into Clinical
Trials for Onconase, an experimental drug being tested around the country, but I
had to sign a waiver that I would accept Doxorubicin if I was chosen for
that...and I was unwilling to do that.  I understand though that the trials have
not been too successful so far with mesothelioma specifically - and they're
showing better results with pancreatic cancer.  Who knows.  I'm really quite
open-minded...just so long as the odds are more than a shot in the dark...It is
kind of difficult dealing with a cancer for which there is no known
protocol...you journey pretty much on your own...in fact, there is not a single
oncologist in Atlanta who has seen more than a case or two in all their years of
practice.  I actually am being monitored by a Dr. Pass in Detroit and a Dr.
McCathren in Knoxville TN, both of whom specialized in meso at the NCI
originally...it makes it hard (and an expensive proposition)...I have a
wonderfully supportive new oncologist in town since we changed insurance Co's in
October and I'm thrilled...my old one fought me every inch of the way and was
totally opposed to everything I was doing...This one is the exact opposite.  He
feels I am on the right track and is the first one to admit science today has
nothing better to offer me..Coincidentally we were on a TV special last year on
Alternative Medicine.  He feels a good balance between complementary and
traditional has usually been the most successful.  My other doctor was adamant I
should do chemo...which I didn't do..so he found me a little frustrating to deal
with.  Every visit he'd come up with another cocktail to try, and every visit
I'd listen politely, make the copies of the material, think about it and then
turn it down....Oh well, no one said we had to be perfect patients.  Dr. Siegel
in his book said he found the patients who lived the longest were the ones the
staff found the most difficult...oh well, so be it... Hope this answers your
questions.  Love you. Cori.