Re: [MOL] small cell lung cancer [02089] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] small cell lung cancer

Hi Stanley,
Fine name, My Father was Stanley Olaf Englund and my Brother Stanley Ray
Englund.  To get to your problem.  My husband Don Postema was diagnosed March
24, 1998 with SCLC in the right upper lobe of the lung with nodes involved and
a large mass on the trachea.  He was 72 years old with heart trouble too.
April 7th. he was started on Chemo of, Carboplatin and VP-16 (Etopside), which
he responded to well, this was given to him day 1 included with above was an
anti-nausea drug through an IV, then the Carboplatin and then the VP-16, day 2
and 3 he was given the Carboplatin and the VP-16, then he had 21 days off and
then the same treatment for 3 days.  He had a total of 18 rounds of the Chemo,
then 21 days off and then 33 hits of radiation.  During the treatment period
he had to have 2 units of blood twice.  During treatments he never got sick,
but did lose his hair, which did not bother him and his hair, all came back
darker and thicker.  He finished all treatments Sept. 24, 1998, cats-can Nov.
7, 1998 the showed no signs of any cancer tumors and the lymph nodes were
normal.  March 16, 1999 he will go for a cat-scan and lab work and then to the
Oncologist March 17, 1999.  He is still doing good, so we have no reason to
believe that the cancer has returned.  The Doctors did not think he would make
it until Thanksgiving when he was diagnosed in March. He told them right from
the start that he was going to live another 5 years, so his wife would have an
income.  Now his Chemo buddy with a much better prognosis died a month ago.
So the answer to your question, who knows?  The patient, or maybe God.  What
makes the difference?  Prayer, or maybe just the fight within the patient, or
maybe just the caregiver, or maybe all.  I really don't think anyone can give
you the answer, do you?  I will pray for your Mother, you and your family.
Have you searched other places or second opinions yet?  You might want to try
that. Their are several in this forum with SCLC that will probably respond to
your letter.  As you know the Cancering Journey is like being on a roller
coaster ride.  We have all been there and done that in here, being a patient,
caregiver or a friend of someone on the Journey.  This might I add is one heck
of a support group, real honest, caring, giving, helping, praying People.  I
would like to see you stay with us and keep us posted on your Mother.  You
might even consider trying the wellness program, ask our Marty about that.
God bless your Mother and family, and if I can be of any further help, just
ask.  I would also like to invite you to take a look at our MOL Photo Album
and see some of the pictures of the members in this forum, we are still
working on it, and right now my picture with Don disappeared, hope to fine it
and put it back tomorrow.  More pictures and information will be added
tomorrow.  My name is Nancy, we are from Muskegon, MI.  I am 59 years old, 60
in Sept.  Try and relax and enjoy our help and company.
Love and prayers to you and yours,
Nanc :-)
In a message dated 2/16/99 12:11:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, SColl86@AOL.COM