[MOL] tamoxifen side effects [02022] Medicine On Line

[MOL] tamoxifen side effects

I noticed additional questions about Tamoxifen recently, and spotted this
article today. It's sobering, but I hope it's helpful. An important point
noted in the full article is that " some research has shown that the form of
endometrial cancer suffered by women taking Tamoxifen has a lower survival
rate than other types." In addition, while endometrial cancer rates double
for those on Tamoxifen 1-2 years, the rates *quadruple* for those on it 5
years, the recommended treatment length.

I have been on Tamoxifen for 3 1/2 years, and will likely continue with it
due to the type of breast cancer I had, but it's important to know the
risks. Love, Joicy

-----------

Cancer risk from Tamoxifen
    [02/16/99; BBC News]

Tamoxifen, the drug hailed as prolonging the life of women with
breast cancer, may cause other cancers, scientists fear.

Studies have shown that the drug may cause a range of other serious
problems, including cancer of the womb lining.

In an article in the Journal of Clinical Pathology, Dr. Sezgin
Ismail of the Department of Pathology at the University of Wales
College of Medicine says various studies have shown that Tamoxifen
has harmful side effects.

The drug has been used for some 25 years to treat breast cancer.
Last year the USA stopped a study to test whether it had a preventive
effect on women with a family history of breast cancer.

US scientists said there was no need to continue the trials since
they had already shown a 45% reduction in cases.

But European trials have not shown any significant preventive
role for the drug.

The full article can be found at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_280000/280228.stm