From:  owner-mol-cancer@lists.meds.com on behalf of Carla
Sent:  Friday, February 05, 1999 4:40 AM
To:  mol cancer
Subject:  [MOL] Chicken soup... Hope

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BE5098.ABF40660

Hope
As I ate breakfast one morning, I overheard two oncologists conversing. =
One complained bitterly, "You know, Bob, I just don't understand it. We =
used the same drugs, the same dosage, the same schedule and the same =
entry criteria. Yet I got a 22 percent response rate and you got a 74 =
percent. That's unheard of for metastatic cancer. How do you do it?"=20

His colleague replied, "We're both using Etoposide, Platinum, Oncovin =
and Hydroxyurea. You call yours EPOH. I tell my patients I'm giving them =
HOPE. As dismal as the statistics are, I emphasize that we have a =
chance."

By William M. Buchholz, M.D.=20
from Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul=20
Copyright 1996 by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Patty Aubery & =
Nancy Mitchell, R.N.

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BE5098.ABF40660

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<H3 align=3Dcenter><FONT color=3D#800000>Hope</FONT></H3>
<P>As I ate breakfast one morning, I overheard two oncologists =
conversing. One=20
complained bitterly, &quot;You know, Bob, I just don't understand it. We =
used=20
the same drugs, the same dosage, the same schedule and the same entry =
criteria.=20
Yet I got a 22 percent response rate and you got a 74 percent. That's =
unheard of=20
for metastatic cancer. How do you do it?&quot; </P>
<P>His colleague replied, &quot;We're both using Etoposide, Platinum, =
Oncovin=20
and Hydroxyurea. You call yours EPOH. I tell my patients I'm giving them =
HOPE.=20
As dismal as the statistics are, I emphasize that we have a =
chance.&quot;</P>
<CENTER>
<DT>By William M. Buchholz, M.D. </CENTER>
<CENTER>
<DT>from <I>Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul </I></CENTER>
<CENTER>
<DT>Copyright 1996 by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Patty Aubery =
&amp;=20
Nancy Mitchell, R.N.</CENTER></DT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BE5098.ABF40660--