[MOL] Fwd: A story [00255] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Fwd: A story

In a message dated 2/2/99 7:44:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,  writes:

 Bob Richards, the former pole-vault champion, shares a moving story about a
skinny young boy who loved football with all his heart.   Practice after
practice, he eagerly gave everything he had.  But being half the size of the
other boys, he got absolutely nowhere.  At all the games, this hopeful athlete
sat on the bench and hardly ever played.

This teenager lived alone with his father, and the two of them had a very
special relationship.  Even though the son was always on the bench, his father
was always in the stands cheering.  He never missed a game. This  young man
was still the smallest of the class when he entered high school.

But the boy's father continued to encourage him but also made it very clear
that he did not have to play football if he didn't want to.  But the young man
loved football and decided to hang in there.  He was determined to try his
best at every practice, and perhaps he'd get to play when he became a senior.
All through high school he never missed a practice nor a game, but  remained a
bench warmer all four years.  His faithful father was always in the stands,
always with words of encouragement for him.

When the young man went to college, he decided to try out for the football
team as a "walk-on." Everyone was sure he could never make the cut, but he
did.  The coach admitted that he kept him on the roster because he always puts
his heart and soul to every practice, and at the same time, provided  the
other members with the spirit and hustle they badly needed.

The news that he had survived the cut thrilled him so much that he rushed to
the  nearest phone and called his father.  His father shared his excitement
and was sent season tickets for all the college games.  This persistent young
athlete never missed practice during his four years at college, but he never
got to play in the game.

It was the end of his senior football season, and as he trotted onto the
practice field shortly before the big play off game, the coach met him with  a
telegram.  The young man read the telegram and he became deathly silent.
Swallowing hard, he mumbled to the coach, "My father died this morning.  Is it
all right if I miss practice today?"  The coach put his arm gently around his
shoulder and said, "Take the rest of the week off, son.  And don't even plan
to come back to the game on Saturday.

Saturday arrived, and the game was not going well.  In the third quarter, when
the team was ten points behind, a silent young man quietly slipped into the
empty
locker room and  put on his football gear.  As he ran onto the sidelines, the
coach and his  players were astounded to see their faithful teammate back so
soon.

"Coach, please let me play.  I've just got to play today." said the young man.
The coach pretended not to hear him.  There was no way he wanted his worst
player in this close playoff game.  But the young man persisted, and finally
feeling sorry for the kid, the coach gave in.  "All right," he said. "You can
go in".

Before long, the coach, the players and everyone in the stands could not
believe their eyes.  This little unknown, who had never played  before was
doing everything right.  The opposing team could not stop him. He ran, he
passed, blocked and tackled like a star. His team began to triumph.  The
score was soon tied.  In the closing seconds of the game, this kid intercepted
a pass and ran all the way for the winning touchdown.

The fans  broke loose.   His teammates hoisted him onto their shoulders. Such
cheering you never heard!  Finally, after the stands had emptied and the team
had showered and  left  the locker room, the coach noticed that the young man
was
sitting quietly in  the corner all alone.  The coach came to him and said,
"Kid, I
can't  believe it. You were fantastic! Tell me what got into you?  How did you
do
it?"   He  looked at the coach, with tears in his eyes, and said, "Well, you
knew my  dad died, but did you know that my dad was blind?'   The young man
swallowed  hard and forced a smile, "Dad came to all my games, but today was
the first time he could see me play, and I wanted to show him I could do it!"

Like the athlete's father, God is always there cheering for us. He's always
reminding us to go on.  He's even offering us His hand for He knows what is
best and is willing to give us what we need and not simply what we want. God
has never missed a single game.  What a joy to know that life is meaningful if
lived for the Highest.  Live for HIM for He's watching us in the game of life.

---- Begin included message ----
Insurance Policy

Larry's barn burned down and his wife, Susan, called the insurance company.

Susan told the insurance company, "We had that barn insured for fifty
thousand and I want my money."

The agent replied, "Whoa there, just a minute, Susan. Insurance doesn't work
quite like that. We will ascertain the value of what was insured and provide
you with a new one of comparable worth."

There was a long pause before Susan replied, "Then I'd like to cancel the
policy on my husband."

RE:	One of those tear jerkers.

---- End included message ----