From: lillian jennings <firefly@islc.net>
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>
Cc: Debi.Estabrook@racom.net <Debi.Estabrook@racom.net>
Date: Saturday, January 23, 1999 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: [MOL] thalidomide

I am not sure if you saw this message; so I am sending it to you in hopes that it helps.  Your friend, lillian

In March 1996, the FDA unveiled a plan to speed new oncology drugs to
market. Thalidomide, AngiostatinTM protein, EndostatinTM protein, and
2-Methoxyestradiol could be candidates for such "fast-track" approval by
the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, although there is no certainty as to
when such approvals could be attained.

Thalidomide, as an antiangiogenic, is being tested in Phase II clinical
trials in Kaposi's sarcoma and in prostate, breast and brain cancers. The
trials are in collaboration with the National Cancer Institute, with
studies underway at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD, the
Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University in Washington, DC, the
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute at Harvard in Boston, MA, the M.D. Anderson
Hospital in Houston, TX, and the University of Chicago.

The testing is in Phase II of a three-phase clinical cycle. Preliminary
results from this phase indicate biological activity in the glioblastoma
(brain), Kaposi's sarcoma and prostate cancer studies.

Thalidomide is also being tested in Phase II trials in macular degeneration
at the Scheie Eye Institute in Philadelphia, PA and with the Retinal
Associates of Cleveland.