From: lillian jennings <firefly@islc.net>
To: M <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 1999 8:31 AM
Subject: [MOL] Buyer Beware! Editorial from a friend....

I believe that some alternative therapies are beneficial to our desease and work well with traditional therapies.  However; before I would enter any program, or use an alternative therapy, I would walk in the wind of caution.

The MD. Anderson site show's the trials and results to alternative therapies and also list some 10 other hospitals that are doing alternative therapy trials.  There is also the Dr. Quack site that has some opinions on various alternative therapies and they are not all negative.  Infact it gives quite a bit of very valuable information.

 Yes, the arugment lends that if some one believes it will cure them, then so be it; but I would stand on the side that would say "why not an alternative that helps, it is just as easy to believe in?"  As a two time cancer survivor and not as young as I used to be, I have seen many fad alternatives come and go.

There is mega money to be made in alternative as there is in traditional therapies.  We can not permit ourselves to be nieve, we must educate ourselves and not count on others to do it for us.  We must also realize that what works for one, may well not work for another.

 I agree that when we are put into a situation where our lives or our love one's life is in danger, that we tend to grasp at straws.  To try anything to make this all work out to our wills, we are desperate; this is understandable.  However; I beg you to educate yourselves before going into anything blindly.  I ask each and every person on this journey to do this and in doing so, I ask you out of love as a fellow cancer friend. lillian