Re: [MOL] Marty RED BEATS!!!! [03468] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Marty RED BEATS!!!!

>From the time you plant beets until you pick them is only about 3 weeks.
Here, in Canada, we don't plant anything until about the middle of May or
as soon as there is no chance of frost, so I would think that as long as
the temperature is, say, 40 degrees or warmer, it is probably fine to
plant. They are quite hardy. We usually plant everything is square sections
where you can have 3 x 3 rows or 2 x 2 rows because often things don't grow
well if you only have 1 long straight row. Now you're getting me anxious to
plant and we still have months to go.
Christine

At 08:16 AM 31/01/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Chistine,
>
>Thanks for the tip and advice. Will certainly try and keep you posted.
>HOw long does it take to grow from the time you plant to the time its to
>be picked from garden. Just curious. When is the best time to plant,
>now  or when the ground is warmer? Although in Cal, it is not that cold
>but the mornings tend to be somewhat cold.
>
>Thanks again and I will throw a recipe your way, today.
>
>God Bless
>marty auslander
>
>Christine White wrote:
>>
>> Beets grow very easily, even someone with a black thumb should be able to
>> grow them. LOL. We put cow manure in the soil (which we get from our
>> neighbour's farm), give them water from the well, and that's about it. We
>> don't have a lot of insect problems so don't really use pesticides (and
>> wouldn't want to anyway). Planting marigolds around your garden also cuts
>> down on bug problems. Give it a try!
>> Christine
>>
>> At 07:59 AM 30/01/99 -0800, you wrote:
>> >Dear Christine,
>> >
>> >Do you grow them organically, I mean without pesticides or foods for
>> >growth? Just curious. I have a black thumb, in other words I can't grow
>> >anything because it comes up looking like a prune, but when I try to
>> >plant someting I try to do it without pesiticides and plant or foods
>> >that make them grow and yet...well I just give up. LOL.
>> >
>> >Take care and God Bless
>> >marty

Hell
>> but