[MOL] Fwd: MARK 4:35-41: SATURDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION [03365] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Fwd: MARK 4:35-41: SATURDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION

---- Begin included message ----
Subj:	 MARK 4:35-41: SATURDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION
Date:	29/01/99 04:01:40  Pacific Standard Time
From:	mtuazon@ix.netcom.com (Manuel Tuazon)
Reply-to:	early-word-request@cin.org
To:	early-word@cin.org

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (To the Greater Glory of God)

For: Saturday, January 30, 1999

3rd Week in Ordinary Time

Optional Memorial: The Blessed Virgin Mary

From: Mark 4:35-41

The Calming of the Storm
------------------------
[35] On that day, when evening had come, He (Jesus) said to them, "Let
us go across to the other side."  [36] And leaving the crowd, they took
Him with them just as He was, in the boat.  And other boats were with
Him.  [37] And a great storm of wind arose, and the waves beat into the
boat so that the boat was already filling.  [38] But He was in the
stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke Him and said to Him,
"Teacher, do You not care if we perish?"  [39] And He awoke and rebuked
the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace!  Be still!"  And the wind
ceased, and there was a great calm.  [40] He said to them, "Why are you
afraid?  Have you no faith?"  [41] And they were filled with awe, and
said to one another, "Who then is this, that even wind and sea obey
Him?"

Commentary:

35-41. The episode of the calming of the storm, the memory of which
must have often helped the Apostles regain their serenity in the midst
of struggles and difficulties, also helps us never lose the
supernatural way of looking at things: a Christian's life is like a
ship: "As a vessel on the sea is exposed to a thousand
dangers--pirates, quicksands, hidden rocks, tempests--so man in this
life, is encompassed with perils, arising from the temptations of Hell,
from the occasions of sin, from the scandals or bad counsels of men,
from human respect, and, above all from the passions of corrupt nature
[...].  This should not cause him to lose confidence.  Rather [...]
when you find yourself assaulted by a violent passion [...] take
whatever steps you can to avoid the occasions [of sin] and place your
reliance on God [...]: when the tempest is violent, the pilot never
takes his eyes from the light which guides him to port.  In like
manner, we should keep our eyes always turned to God, who alone can
deliver us from the many dangers to which we are exposed" (St.
Augustine, "Sermon 51; for the Fourth Sunday After Epiphany).

Source: "The Navarre Bible: Text and Commentaries".  Biblical text
taken from the Revised Standard Version and New Vulgate.  Commentary
made by members of the Faculty of Theology of the University of
Navarre, Spain.  Published by Four Courts Press, Kill Lane, Blackrock,
Co. Dublin, Ireland.  Printed in Hungary.