Re: [MOL] Not Much -- Just Chatting [00998] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Not Much -- Just Chatting

It certainly does have a lot of good restaurants, some of them very
expensive too.  I remember a steak house I went to once a long time ago
where they actually aged the steak in a building connected to the
restaurant.

The homeless, the drunks and the mentally ill certainly haven't gone away.
There was an article in the NYTimes about 2 weeks ago about the welfare
system.  The Mayor of NYC, Rudolph Guliani has cut the rolls of the people
on welfare by a nice big percentage.  He and his administration are pretty
blunt how they did it.  They basically made it so hard for applicants to
get money that they just didn't try anymore.  This is his success.  What
happens to them, he obviously doesn't care about.  The fact that they gave
up trying is his proof that they really didn't need the help to begin with.
 They have some housing programs and some work training programs but the
amount of people they help, is I think, very small.

The homeless mentally ill have been emptied from the mental hospitals.
When I worked in social work I bore witness to some of their techniques
like my supervisor telling one fellow who refused to go to an interview at
a group home, the next time you have privileges to go out on the grounds,
don't come back.  Or being told to take somebody to an interview for
placement but not to mention that the day before he just had a positive
screen for cocaine use.

Every once in a while, the homeless mentally ill inflict themselves on all
our attention in a very unpleasant way.  About two weeks ago, such a fellow
apparently pushed someone described as a nice, sweet young girl to her
death onto the subway tracks.

But whatever happens doesn't seem to be enough to motivate people to do
anything.  We don't have many facts.  We know the use of soup kitchens in
NYC has gone up about 30%.  Now they are talking about getting rid of the
parole system.  This would mean that people doing time in jail would do
their time and then just go home or wherever.  What are the politicians
thinking of?  Saving the money they pay to all the people that work  in the
parole system.  Do we hear any uproar about that?  No.  They haven't done
it yet, but I think they probably will and we still won't hear much.

When I was in social work school we had to read about the things like the
poorhouse and how it led to the mental hospital system.  I can't help but
wonder if even the poorhouse, where they never fed anybody enough because
they thought it would somehow spoil them; that God had picked them out to
have difficult lives and so it must always be, was nicer than society today
where the social edict seems to be they don't exist, and even if they do,
we don't care.

Sorry to get on my soap box.  We all went to NYC today after a long
absence.  As we made the turn to the highway that leads out of Manhattan
there was a fellow standing begging on the road with all the ravages of
winter and poverty written on his face.   I guess I'm still thinking of
him.

Love,

Martha

----------
> From: lillian jennings <firefly@islc.net>
> To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
> Subject: Re: [MOL] Not Much -- Just Chatting
> Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 5:47 PM
>
> Martha:  To  someone not accustomed to all the wonderful varried food
> aeroma's that assao  our nostrils, and make hunger pains double us over,
> N.Y. does smell good.
> Ofcourse one must over look the fallen down drunks, homeless; etc or have
> they cleaned this up?  Speaking of homeless, I understand that many
YMCA"S
> that have rooms also have a nurse on board to give the meds.  It was
found
> that many homeless people were bi-polar and not taking the medications
> needed and that this has help in many cases.  Your friend, lillian

Fall
> >showed New York off to its best advantage.
> >
> >There's a song I think I remember hearing Mel Torme sing:
> >
> >Autumn in New York,
> >Why does it seem so exciting..
> >
> >I don't remember the rest of the words.  New Yorkers, like me and PJ do
> >like to sing.
> >
> >Kathy, you know someone who lives near Sutton Place?  You've been
holding
> >out on us Kath.
> >
> >Take care.  Lots of Love and Good Wishes to you,
> >
> >Martha
> >

> >----------
> >From: kcorrigan@chgw.com
> >To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
> >Subject: RE: [MOL] Not Much -- Just Chatting
> >Date: Tuesday, January 05, 1999 11:27 PM
> >
> >Hi, Martha:  Cold Spring sounds absolutely wonderful.  There's an area
of
> >Portland, Oregon, much like that.  Terwilleger Boulevard, I believe it
is.
> >It's up in the Highlands, and the houses are very close together and
close
> >to the sidewalks.  It's very hilly there, and scenic.  The view of
Portland
> >from up there is breathtaking.  Although I don't consider Portland a
> >smaller
> >city, New Yorkers probably do.  Boise is definitely a small city, but it
is
> >lovely in its own way. We have a greenbelt that follows the Boise River
the
> >entire length of the city.  There are horse paths, bicylcle paths and
> >jogging paths all along the river, and it's beautiful in the spring,
> >summer,
> >and fall.  We're very proud of our Greenbelt.  During the summer it's
great
> >sport to rent innertubes and tube down the river, waving at everyone who
> >drives or walks by.  We have our own opera, symphony orchestra, and
ballet
> >company.  There are more millionaires per capita in Boise than in any
other
> >city in the United States, although it doesn't have the feeling of being
> >only for the rich.  It's because it's the home of Boise Cascade,
Morrison
> >Knudsen, Hewlett-Packard, Micron, Albertsons, Ore-Ida Foods, Simplot
> >Company
> >-- the list goes on and on.  I sound like a travel brochure, don't I?
> >
> >I visited New York (Manhattan) about ten years ago in October.  I was
> >charmed by the city.  I thought it was wonderfully exciting and
beautiful,
> >too, and the air even smelled good.  I was suprised at how clean it was.
> >stayed in an apartment on First and 51st near Sutton Place.  I thought
it
> >was very fancy over there.  We were on the 20th floor, and for a small
town
> >girl, that was very exciting.  I even went to the Met and saw "La
Boheme."
> >I'd love to go back someday.  Maybe I will.  You know, I used to think
that
> >Easterners were aloof and unfriendly.  Just not true!  Thanks, Martha!
> >Love, Kathy

Spring.
> >> It's on a hill that slopes down to the Hudson River.  There are a lot
of
> >> nice shops.  The houses are all close together, a little beyond the
> >> sidewalk.  It always makes me think of how it must have been before TV
> >> when, I guess, people sat out on their porches, in part, for
amusement,
> >> and
> >> knew and said hi to just about everyone that went by.
> >>
> >> I never saw much of anything like that in my life, growing up in the
> >> subburbs of Long Island.  Sometimes I feel I missed something and am
> >still
> >> missing it, i.e., life in a smaller city has charms still that I don't
> >see
> >> in New York state.
> >>
> >> People say Rudolph Guiliani has changed New York city; that now it is
> >> safer, better, etc.  I hadn't been in very much for a while, until I
had
> >> start going back to the doctor and was always of the opinion that
nobody
> >> could change New York.  but lately I think maybe he did or something
did.

> >> But I think I miss the old New York; you know, the hustlers, the 3
card
> >> monte players!  I wouldn't want to hang out with them, but there was
an
> >> air
> >> of danger I miss...a little.  Now it seems to be a city only for the
> >rich.
> >>
> >> Love you muchly,
> >>
> >> Martha
> >>
> >> ----------
> >> From: kcorrigan@chgw.com
> >> To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
> >> Subject: [MOL] Not Much -- Just Chatting
> >> Date: Tuesday, January 05, 1999 5:41 PM
> >>
> >> Hi, Folks:  Just sitting here (working) and thinking about how
suddently
> >> things can change.  I've always been proud of our small city -- how
> >> informal, yet cultured, we are.  Our last governer (as of today) lived
> >> about
> >> three blocks from us in a rather modest home.  He drove his own car to
> >> work
> >> every day, and ate at his favorite Chinese restaurant about twice a
week.
> >> Often, he would walk the three blocks from the capitol building to the
> >> restaurant by himself.  One day my friends and I had just finished
eating
> >> and were exiting the restaurant.  I let go of the door and it almost
> >> smacked
> >> the Gov. in the face!  He laughed, and I apologized.  It wasn't
unusual,
> >> either, to see him playing clarinet (not very well) in a little
Dixieland
> >> band, having a great time.  Last Thursday, I was walking down to a
little
> >> Greek restaurant near us and the Gov. was crossing the street from the
> >> capitol (our building is only a block away).  It was pouring rain, and
> >> turned to the Gov., who is a very small man, and said, "You're getting
> >all
> >> wet -- want to share my umbrella?"  So he did.  We walked along and I
> >> asked
> >> him how he felt about retiring, etc., and he joked and we chatted.
This
> >> was
> >> not unusual behavior for him at all and, in fact, was the way with all
> >> past
> >> governors, as well.  Old Governor Smylie asked me what a type of fruit
> >was
> >> once in the grocery store.  His wife had a cold, so he was doing the
> >> shopping!  Our new governor, Dirk Kempthorne, has brought an entourage
of
> >> security officers with him from Washington.  This change makes many of
us
> >> sad.  Ah, well.  Just thought I'd share that little tidbit with you.
> >> Kathy
> >> in Boise

Forum