Re: [MOL] Martha/Kathy/Not Much -- Just Chatting [00906] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Martha/Kathy/Not Much -- Just Chatting

Dear Jeanne,

When I was younger, I did my share of traveling.  We took a train, which
was nice, from Warsaw to Leningrad, as it was called at the time.  (It was
in the late 1970's).  I'll always remember crossing the border at
Brest-Litovsk.  They let us get out and walk around.  I felt like I just
stepped into another century.  Women were wearing their babuskas and the
men, what I guess we always think of as peasant garb.  There were people
selling fresh bread and hard boiled eggs.  When we got back on the train,
the soldiers came in and made us show our passports.  This was my college
Russian class; of course to us it was very exciting.

Further along as we got deeper in Russia, there seemed to all of a sudden
be a lot of young girls with long hair in braids.  The train stopped by a
well in the forest.  It was sort of like a well drinking fountain---you
could pump it and drink.  The water was delicious.  I remember I looked
around.  The forest had this rich, deep foresty smell I never remembered
ever smelling before.  I remember thinking to myself nothing's changed here
since Napoleon went through.

In Tblisi, where I think Stalin was born, we went to what they called a
spa.  I remember there was a little woman; she put me under this shower
where the water smelt like rotten eggs.  Then she rubbed my skin up and
down with some kind of loofa type brush.  It sounds really strange; kind of
like torture.  but afterwards everybody felt terrific!

The Hermitage is a beautiful museum.  A lot of people liked Lenningrad/St.
Petersburg the best.  But I had the best time in Moscow.  We got to stay at
the Russia Hotel which is about a stone's throw from Red Square.  I would
eat my breakfast...it was almost too much to imagine that I could drink my
coffee, look out the window and there was St. Basil's Cathedral, Lenin's
tomb, the wall along Red Square where all those SOB big shots would get up
and make their speeches....

Over the years, with planes blowing up all over, I got to thinking gee,
there are a lot of places in this country I've never seen...and the
Carribean...I think I'd like to make that a regular family vacation...

Italy's a place I've never been that I'd like to go someday...so much
beautiful art.   Also back to England I think, for I didn't get to see the
really beautiful parts of the country and Scotland and Wales.

Love,

Martha

----------
> From: james kissinger <jkissing@uvic.ca>
> To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
> Subject: [MOL] Martha/Kathy/Not Much -- Just Chatting
> Date: Friday, January 08, 1999 2:12 PM
>
> Kathy, have you read about cannyoning? You go down rapids with a body
suit
> of some kind sans tube, kayak or whatever! Like body surfing! Our niece
and
> her husband who live in Switzerland wrote about it and we simply can't
> imagine what this looks like. Is your river called the Snake?
>
> Martha, could never stand the hard stuff either. Simply can't imagine
being
> a connoiseur of whiskey. Wine, yes! Ditto for beer, though we drink it
only
> on a hot summer day (which is a rare event here!)
>
> Russia, now that's an unusual tourist destination. Did you go to St
> Petersburg? See the Bolshoi or the Armetage (sp)? Where else have you
gone?
> I love hearing about trips but I have never gone myself. Cathy has gone
> Egypt, Russia, Japan, England, Denmark on school trips. Never had stuff
> like that when we went to school. Jeanne
>
> At 01:18 PM 1/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >Hi, Marth:  I agree -- traveling is great.  If you decide to come see
Boise,
> >do it in the summer and we'll tube down the river!  It's so much fun.
> >
> >You're right -- the Dean and I did have a lot of fun.  I think it didn't
> >work out because we were better friends than anything else -- just  had
> >good time hanging out together.  I'm not much of a drinker, either --
> >especially not hard liquor, but this was the best vodka tonic I'd ever
> >tasted.  Probably because the atmosphere was soooooo sophisticated!  LOL
 We
> >have about ten little micro-breweries here now, and they all make the
> >tastiest (and strongest) beer.  One of the best is the wheat beer they
make
> >at a place called the Table Rock Brewery.  The food there is fabulous,
and
> >they serve the beer in tall glasses with a slice of lemon.  One is
plenty --
> >trust me!
> >
> >You would enjoy Boise.  Come during our River Festival in late June.
It's
> >the second largest balloon festival in the United States.  We've had
John
> >Tesh, Pebo Bryson, Chubby Checker (he was awful), and many other
headliners,
> >and the concerts are free.  It's a fun time, and being from the big
city,
> >you could handle the crowds.  I  have a little trouble in that
department.
> >I think I'll write a travel brochure for Boise, after all.  Apparently,
I'm
> >its biggest fan!  LOL  Kathy

Vodka,
> >> lined up in the shops.  Back then, people really got aggravated with
you
> >> if
> >> you didn't take the vodka, throw back your head and drink it in one
gulp.
> >> I was always a sipper.  They didn't really have mixed drinks then.  I
> >> sought refuge in one they did have; it was half cognac and half
champagne.

> >> It was nicccee!
> >>
> >> Love,
> >>
> >> Martha
> >>
> >> ----------
> >> From: kcorrigan@chgw.com
> >> To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
> >> Subject: RE: [MOL] Not Much -- Just Chatting
> >> Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 6:34 PM
> >>
> >> Hi, Martha:  I know the tune to Autumn in New York, but not all the
words
> >> --
> >> not any more.  New York was lovely, though.  The flowers on Park
Avenue
> >> were
> >> incredible.  I even liked all the noise!  We went to the Russian
Tearoom,
> >> and I almost fainted because there were no prices on the menu!  That's
how
> >> much of a hick I am.  Then we went to Tiffany's, and my boyfriend
asked
> >> how
> >> much a cigarette lighter was he was going to buy for me.  The clerk
said
> >> he
> >> couldn't afford it if he had to ask!!!!!  My boyfriend (who wasn't
exactly
> >> "boy") at the time had been the Dean of the University of Arizona.  He
had
> >> recently moved to Boise with Morrison Knudsen and had been teaching
> >> Statistics at Boise State University.  He had two gay uncles who lived
in
> >> the apartment and were in the Bahamas.  One had worked on the
Manhattan
> >> Project (the bomb), and the other was, of course, an interior
decorator.
> >> They left us goose liver pate with truffels, which I had never tasted,
Dom
> >> Perignon champagne (which I hated), and Absolut Vodka (which I loved).
 It
> >> was a wonderful trip.  We stayed for a week.  Now I recognize places
I'd
> >> seen in the movies, provided they aren't filmed in Toronto!  LOL  I
didn't
> >> marry this man, because he was so smart he was weird, but we had a lot
of
> >> fun for a couple of years.  Yes, Boise IS nice.  I really do belong
here,
> >> but I still want to see New York again.  Love, Kathy

River
> >> ballet
> >> Morrison
I?