Re: [MOL] APPRECIATE ALL YOU MOLERS [00326] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] APPRECIATE ALL YOU MOLERS

Hi to all! My name is Sonya and right before Christmas I found out my
step father has lung cancer. He is 56 and the cancer has spread
throughout both of his lungs. When I heard about this for some reason
I wasn't surprised it's almost as if someday with him I knew it would
happen. He's smoked since he was 14 he's always said. In past
holidays/birthdays mom or my day would ask for cigarettes or lighters
as presents and I refused to do so. I didn't want this to happen and
feel like I was a part of what got him there. It's more a personal
feeling than what I believe would be true.  The majority of the cancer
is behind his heart I've been told. He had a heart attack 13 years ago
and he also is a diabetic. I'm curious as to how both of these will
effect his health on top of his cancer? His esophogus is closing up.
He went in because he felt a lump in his throat and he was coughing
bad and breathing poorly. Nothing has been said to me about throat
cancer. Does it sound like he has cancer in his throat also? The
doctors have started radiation treatments 5 times a week for 4 hours
each day and once a week of chemotherapy. It's been going on for 2
weeks now but he's only had 4 days of raditation because of the
holidays. I've been told that the radiation won't make a difference
until after his third week. Mom said they haven't even x-rayed him to
see if it's doing a thing. She said he isn't getting nauseated which
the doctors say is a good thing. I heard they do so many radiation and
chemotherapy treatments and then that's that his life is up to God
from there. Is this true? He's in Arkansas and I'm in Virginia. This
is hard for me because I know no other father then him. He's been in
my life since I was 3. I have 2 daughters who love him very much also.
The doctors have given him 2 months to 12 months to live. At first
they had thought that cancer was in his stomach also but nothing has
been mentioned of this. They did tell my mom who has been relaying
everything to me that they will not perform surgery on his lungs
because the cancer is spread throughout them both. I'd really like to
get any information on what I am about to deal with. My mother is not
asking very many questions and the doctors don't seem to be giving
very many answers. My mom is on medicare and is a nurse's aid with
little salary. My dad didn't work before all this. I'm an only child
with no money to give them ourselves. My husband is in the Air Force
and we are having hard times ourselves and I'm a stay at home mom. Can
the cancer society or anyone else help them out finacially? Mom is
looking into information of filing bankruptcy. She thinks she can do
that and keep her house. Is this possible? I hate to hear such words
from her mouth. I feel as though I have to be the one who finds out as
much as I can because my mother wants to face this through God and
herbal remedies which is fine for now but I want to be there for her
and be fully informed. I feel pretty much lost and the separation of
many miles sucks at a time like this. He keeps telling me on the phone
he's fine and he sounds fine but I know he's not fine. What can I do
to make his life happy for both of them for that matter. She didn't
buy him any Christmas presents because she told me "what do I buy him
with all this going on? Any information would be appreciated.

---W & M Rose <FEARME@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Welcome Tami,
> It is nice to hear from one of the many 'silent' molers out there, and
> lovely to hear that we have been helping. Please feel free to jump
right in,
> say whatever you feel, and ask any questions you need.
> :) Much love
> Mam

NOVEMBER.
> >THERE IS SO MUCH LOVE AND CARING. I HAVE ONLY BEEN READING IT AND
NEVER
> >POSTING MY OWN MESSAGE.
> >  MY DAD WAS DIAGNOSED IN JUNE '98 WITH NON-SMALL CELL LUNG CANCER
> >STAGE III, MY SISTER-IN-LAW WAS DIAGNOSED WITH GRADE 2 ASTROCYTOMA
> >(BRAIN TUMOR) 2 YEARS AGO, IT COVERS THE FRONT QUARTER OF HER BRAIN
AND IT
> >IS INOPERALBLE.
> >  I FEEL SO HELPLESS SOMETIMES, NOT KNOWING WHAT TO SAY OR DO. I
HAVE BEEN
> >FORWARDING ALOT OF EMAILS FROM MOLERS TO MY DAD. HE REALLY SEEMS TO
BE
> >UPLIFTED AND GAINS ALOT OF INFO.
> >  MY NAME IS TAMI AND I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS TIME TO JOIN IN.

Forum
> >majordomo@lists.meds.com
> >with the subject line blank and the body of the message containing
the
> line:
> >where the phrase your-email-address is replaced with your actual
email
> >address.

Forum