[MOL] Why you should continue on this list [13431] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Why you should continue on this list

Hi all of you,

I don't write often because I don't seem to have the energy to write much
yet, but I read all the posts and I have found that it is good to do that.
Let me tell you why.

Today I was having a bout of self pity. I am tired of hurting and tired of
not being able to resume my normal busy life because my energy level is not
back to normal so I shed a few tears and felt like it would never get
better. Then I read the posts that have come through today and I realized
how much more difficulty many of you are dealing with than I.

Since I was lucky enough to catch the breast cancer in a stage one tumor I
only had to have a lumpectomy and ancillary disection and it appears that
they got everything. I will start follow up radiation therapy August 10.
Compared to what many of you are bravely fighting, my therapy is merely an
inconvenience. Thinking about that helped to put my situation in
perspective, and I realize how fortunate I am.

As I read on through the posts I read the jokes and I laughed out loud.
Nothing makes self pity and tears vanish like laughter. So now I am okay. I
know because of my nature that it will continue to bother me that I have to
slow down a little and conserve energy, but I will deal with it.

A couple of days ago a friend of mine called and she has been diagonsed
with breast cancer, too. As I talked with her I realized that she will
probably have a tougher time than I because she is older (70), she is very
heavy, and she was recently diagonsed with sugar diabetes so has been
dealing with that. Now she has breast cancer on top of several other health
problems. I tried to encourage her and I hope I succeeded, but I know she
is as scared as I was and she is facing some tougher decisions because of
her additiional health problems.

When I went in for my conference with the doctor about radiation therapy
one of the things he said was that some of the difficulties that can follow
radiation therapy I didn't have much to worry about because I wasn't obese
and I didn't have diabetes. I immediately thought of my friend Jane and I
wondered if she should opt for the mastectomy so she wouldn't need
radiation therapy even though her tumor can be removed with a lumpectomy. I
plan to call her and have her ask the doctor those questions. She is
scheduled for surgery next Tuesday. If you have any input on this I would
like to hear from you. I don't want to give her any bum advice.

Thanks for listening.

Liz P. Of Yakima