Re: [MOL] bi polar F.Y.I. [13296] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] bi polar F.Y.I.

Dear Joseph,  Thank you for the info.  I have printed it and will use it to
make further decisions.  About 5 days ago I was complaining about my son's
mood swings.  I just thought it was his personality to be obnoxious most of
the time and now we are all discussing bi-polar as a possible reason for
this.  I don't even know if I've gotten to read all the msgs. yet but am
trying now to catch up.  Thanks for the input and I will go into that
address you give at the bottom.   Regards,  Vicci

----------
> From: EASTSPARTN@aol.com
> To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
> Subject: Re: [MOL] bi polar F.Y.I.
> Date: Monday, July 27, 1998 9:25 PM
>
>  I SOMEHOW MISSED THE MESSAGE THAT PEOPLE ARE POSTING RESPONSES TO ,BUT
IF
> THIS IS A NEW PSYCHIATRIC DIAGNOSIS CONCOMMITANT WITH SYSTEMIC ILLNESS (
> CANCER )HERE ARE A FEW THINGS F.Y.I.
>   IN A STANDARD PSYCHIARTIC EXAMINATION A CLINICIAN WILL , AT THE LEAST ,
WANT
> TO DETERMINE :
> 1. IS THE PATIENT SUFFERING FROM A MOOD DISORDER
> 2.IF SO , IS THIS MOOD DISORDER DEPRESSION
> 3.IF DEPRESSION , IS IT MELANCHOLOR ONE OF THE OTHER FORMS
> 4.IF DEPRESSION , IS IT ASSOCIATED WITH PSYCHOSIS, SIGNIFICANT RISK OF
SUICIDE
> ,STUPOR, CATATONIA , OLD AGE OR HIGH RISK OF MEDICAL COMPLICATION
> 5.IF A MOOD DISORDER , IS IT MANIC LIKE IN CROSS SECTION OR LONGITUDINAL
(
> BIPOLAR)
> 6.IF BIPOLAR , IS IT ASSOCIATED WITH , PSYCHOSIS ,SIGNIFICANT EXCITEMENT
,
> CATATONIA , ALCOHOLISM .
>   TO GET TO THIS CLINICAL TREE , WHICH CAN BE NO SMALL TASK IN THE
PRESENCE OF
> SIGNIFICANT SYSTEMIC ILLNESS, IT IS IMPORTANT TO DIFFERENTIATE A
DIAGNOSIS .
> THEN THE TREE WILL LEAD YOU IN THE A SECOND DIAGNOSTIC PROCESS TO HELP IN
> PATIENT MANAGEMENT AND BIOLOGICAL TREATMENT . THIS CAN ALSO BE MADE
DIFFICULT
> IN THE PRESENCE OF SIGNIFICANT SYSTEMIC ILLNESS . NOW RATHER THEN GOING
ON TO