[MOL] Cord Blood Registry [13290] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Cord Blood Registry

ood Evening My Friends, thought this might be of some interest.

God Bless

marty auslander\\

Cord Blood Registry: Families Suffering From Life-Threatening Anemia

Have New Treatment Option

SAN DIEGO, July 27 /PRNewswire/ -- A new program that may provide a

powerful treatment option for families suffering from aplastic anemia

and myelodysplastic syndromes, rare bone marrow failure disorders, will

be presented this week at the Aplastic Anemia Foundation of America

(AAFA) Annual Patient Conference in San Diego.

Cord Blood Registry, the nation's largest family cord blood bank, will

offer information on its Designated Transplant Program, which provides

umbilical cord blood storage at no cost to families suffering from

aplastic anemia, myelodysplastic syndromes and a number of other

serious diseases. Cord blood is the blood that remains in the umbilical

cord after a baby is born and can easily be collected and stored; it is

then used as an alternative to bone marrow for transplantation and

treatment of these diseases.

"Our goal is to ensure that information on the Designated Transplant

Program will reach those patients suffering from aplastic anemia and

myelodysplastic syndromes," said Stephen Grant, Cord Blood Registry's

vice president of communications. "If there is a birth in their

family's future, banking the newborn's cord blood could provide an

opportunity to treat their disease."

AAFA Executive Director Marilyn Baker said this conference gives

patients the opportunity to hear the latest information on the

treatment and management of aplastic anemia and myelodysplastic

syndromes.

"Umbilical cord blood is a potential treatment option for these

diseases," said Baker. "This program is an example of the kind of

information we want our patients to be made aware of."

The Designated Transplant Program is available to all families who

qualify based on medical need. For information, contact Cord Blood

Registry, toll-free, at 888-CORD BLOOD (888-267-3256).