Re: [MOL] Re: bi polar [13243] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Re: bi polar

Gosh Jean I can't thank you enough for all the details.  I've only been
closely involved with sister in law's illness and how and where her journey
has taken her. What a rough life you've had to lead.  In my reading, the
illness usually shows up between the ages of 17 and 25 approx.  Drinking is
usually associated with the disease for some reason.  Sister in law loves
her beer but after her diagnosis she refrains until stressed out enough to
not care and then starts drinking.  Then we are in double trouble.  And the
worst part is that 50% of off spring end up with the disease or some form
of mental illness.  We watch niece closely.  I've explained to my niece how
her mom's illness works and asked her if she would like further info.  She
says no and that's ok.  I talked to her several days ago and boy does she
sound down.  Knowledge is the key, I say.  This illness takes so many
various forms that I'm sure it is hard to diagnose.  But it's so critical
for the bi-polar to be on the proper meds.  Like Patty Duke finding out,
after years and years, that that was her problem.  Now she understands and
is properly treated.  Now she knows she's not crazy.  She admits to needing
treatment.  Our sister in law won't do that.  She thinks she is well with
just the lithium.  She stays pretty level but could be a happy functioning
person if she would see an excellent psychiatrist.  She only sees the
county mental health people who check her lithium level once a month and
talks to her for about 15 mins.  Sister in law absolutely refuses to
acknowledge that anything else is wrong.  People meeting her for the first
time know there is something not right.  And I guess that's ok for her.  It
wouldn't be for me.  And I would want someone to tell me.  The books I've
read are so wonderful.  Explaining how to get better, not just from drugs,
but from forms of light.  Either sun or lamps.  Meditating.  Group
counceling.  Lots of different things. I guess that if she thinks she's
normal, then she is, to herself.  Depression being apart of bi-polar is
correct.  Depression on it's own is not part of bi-polar.  Bi-Polar in
itself won't let the victim seek help in most cases.  They just run amuck.
I'm sorry your dad wasn't able to get the help he needed so that he could
raise his family without turmoil.  It's such a shame that the family and
the children suffer for something that could easily be cured by a correct
analysis.  Thank you Jean for sharing your story.  It takes a well and
balanced person to be able to do that.  Our sister in law couldn't and
can't.
What you went thru as a child was enough to make you think all sorts of
things.  But your here, with us, and I'm so glad.  Love ya lots,   Vicci